VMware Communities
VCPGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Login to VM only English Keyboard Layout available???

VMware Workstation 7.0:

Installed Windows 7 in a VM. When I want to login I have to enter my password with an english keyboard. After the login my keyboard settings are changed to swiss-german (which I choosed in the Windows 7 Keyboard settings).

Any idea how to fix? That I could login (enter my password) with a german or swiss-german keyboard?

Best Regards Simon Ciglia
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From Windows Help:

Change your keyboard layout

You can customize your keyboard for a specific language or format by changing the keyboard layout. The layout controls which characters appear on

the screen when you press the keys on your keyboard. Some input languages have several keyboard layouts; others have only one. For example,

you can change your keyboard layout from the English QWERTY format to the English Dvorak format. After you change the layout, the characters on your screen might not correspond to the characters on your keyboard keys.

Before you can change the keyboard layout, you must add the input language and keyboard layout that you want to Windows.

To change the keyboard layout on the Welcome screen, click the Keyboard layout button, and thenselect a keyboard layout.

Note: If you don't see the Keyboard layout button, you might not have more than one input language, or your regional and language settings might not be applied to reserved accounts.

Apply regional and language settings to reserved accounts

When you choose regional and language settings for your computer, such as your default language or keyboard layout, you can apply those settings to special accounts in Windows called reserved accounts. Reserved accounts include the default user account and the system accounts. These accounts are described below.

Open Region and Language

Click the Administrative tab, and then clickCopy settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do one of the following:

To copy the current settings to the default user account, select the New user accounts check box. The default account is used as a template for creating new user accounts. This setting allows administrators to set the default format, keyboard layout, and display language for new users. Any user account created on the computer after the settings have been copied to the default user account will have these settings applied. Existing user accounts aren't affected.

To copy the current settings to the welcome screen and other system accounts (local system, local service, and network service), select the Welcome screen and system accounts check box. The system accounts are special accounts used by Windows. This setting allows administrators to specify a display language and keyboard layout for the Welcome screen. It also sets the display language for users who haven't specified a display language.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

First off this is a guest issue, not a virtualisation one Smiley Wink

With Windows you can set keyboards / internationalisation for the current user and for the system (default) profile.

Under earlier windows versions it was in "Regional and Language options" control panel dialog.

There's a "default user account settings" checkbox for making your current setting the system setting.

Sorry don't have a Win7 system at hand, so you'll have to locate it yourself for a bit.

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sounds like you used "easy install" and this set the localisation to english ...

for non english languages i would not use "easy install"

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From Windows Help:

Change your keyboard layout

You can customize your keyboard for a specific language or format by changing the keyboard layout. The layout controls which characters appear on

the screen when you press the keys on your keyboard. Some input languages have several keyboard layouts; others have only one. For example,

you can change your keyboard layout from the English QWERTY format to the English Dvorak format. After you change the layout, the characters on your screen might not correspond to the characters on your keyboard keys.

Before you can change the keyboard layout, you must add the input language and keyboard layout that you want to Windows.

To change the keyboard layout on the Welcome screen, click the Keyboard layout button, and thenselect a keyboard layout.

Note: If you don't see the Keyboard layout button, you might not have more than one input language, or your regional and language settings might not be applied to reserved accounts.

When you choose regional and language settings for your computer, such as your default language or keyboard layout, you can apply those settings to special accounts in Windows called reserved accounts. Reserved accounts include the default user account and the system accounts. These accounts are described below.

Open Region and Language

Click the Administrative tab, and then clickCopy settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do one of the following:

To copy the current settings to the default user account, select the New user accounts check box. The default account is used as a template for creating new user accounts. This setting allows administrators to set the default format, keyboard layout, and display language for new users. Any user account created on the computer after the settings have been copied to the default user account will have these settings applied. Existing user accounts aren't affected.

To copy the current settings to the welcome screen and other system accounts (local system, local service, and network service), select the Welcome screen and system accounts check box. The system accounts are special accounts used by Windows. This setting allows administrators to specify a display language and keyboard layout for the Welcome screen. It also sets the display language for users who haven't specified a display language.

0 Kudos