VMware Communities
lexotron314
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Logging in to a domain

Greetings, I've poked around, and I've found similar situations, but none like my own.

I have VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130, and using Ubuntu 8.10 with a 2.6.27-9-generic kernel as a host OS. My client OS is Windows XP SP3, and it's on a domain (gross, I know...).

The problem is this: when I first spin up my machine, it seems to be blissfully unaware of the network. Regardless of whether I start my machine in Bridged or NAT, it doesn't seem to be aware of what's going on. If I try to log in, it proudly tells me that my credentials are wrong, with "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your comptuer account was not found. Please try again later (yea, right). If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance." Well, I am the system administrator, and I can't provide assistance. If I mess with the network settings: disable the adapter, switch it to the other (NAT vs Bridged), re-enable it, it seems to help. But, I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it. I may have to do that several times before it works, and it will authenticate in either Bridged or NAT, depending on how the planets are aligned.

This is REALLY annoying, and I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Do you have the VMware Tools installed on the XP guest?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

If the guest is a domain member stick to a "bridged" virtual NIC (vNIC). You can't connect from the outside to the guest without configuring it when you use NAT.

First of all, can you ping other hosts or the VMware host itself by IP address?

Post "ifconfig -a" from the host and "ipconfig /all" from the guest.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Do you have the VMware Tools installed on the XP guest?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
lexotron314
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm actually not new to the forums, this is just the first time under this account 😛

I'm afriad this issue preceeds logging in, so I don't have much of a platform for troubleshooting. I believe that once I log in, all is well in the world. I get a valid IP address, I can ping the DC, I can ping the VMware host. The issue seems to be in the login screen limbo state. What's interesting, is once I've logged in, get valid network connectivity, then log out, I still can't authenticate against the domain. I'm going to try leaving and re-joining the domain, see if that helps.

Yes, I do have VMware tools installed. I can try re-installing those as well, since this VM is actually migrated from VMware Fusion 2.0.

0 Kudos
jorgent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried setting a static DNS?

0 Kudos
lexotron314
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think DNS is irrelelvant in this scenario, but I appreciate the input.

Between re-joining the domain, and bouncing VMware tools, that resolved the issue. Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos