VMware Communities
justamal
Contributor
Contributor

Loading DOS ODI Driver & TCPIP Stack

I have a DOS legacy application(C++ program) and a Windows XP(C++ program) applications, I want these applications to be communicated using TCPIP Stack. I purchased a TCPIP Stack from Novell vendor. To run TCPIP Protocol Stack(TCPIP.exe) program in DOS, I would need the ODI Driver of the Ethernet board to be installed and loaded. The computer I have has Broadcom NetXtreme® 57XX Ethernet board. I have problem in loading the ODI Driver and after TCPIP Stack.

I have created MS-DOS6.2 virtual machine in VMWARE. And when I load the Broadcom NetXtreme® 57XX ODI Driver, I get an error saying “Adaptor not initialized”. I am new to installing and configuring the device drivers in DOS. Please guide me how do I need to proceed to install the compatible ODI Driver and the TCPIP stack.

your answers would be great help for me.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

In your guest machine you should load the driver of the VIRTUAL network adapter, not the PHYSICAL network adapter. VMware does NOT pass your physical adapter through to the guest - it emulates a virtual switch and a virtual Ethernet adapter and connects the virtual switch and virtual ethernet adapter to the physical ethernet adapter (if you're using bridged networking). You need to load ODI/NDIS or packet drivers for the virtual network device - the AMD PCNet32 adapter.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Do a search on this forum - I posted quite a while back the network config files for a DOS VM.

As this topic comes up from time to time, I may have to dig this info up and post it on my website. Smiley Wink

Message was edited by:

RDPetruska

0 Kudos
lfrench
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that you want to use the virtual adpater's driver, but the AMD PCNet32 adapter is for Workstation 5. In version 6, I believe it's supposed to be the Intel Pro 1000 driver.

I'm having network issues in DOS using Workstation 6. The automatically selected Intel Pro 1000 driver is not working for me. Anyone know of a work around?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What are you selecting as your GuestOS for the VM? The E1000 virtual NIC is \*only* defaulted to on 64-bit guests, and Windows Vista, and Longhorn beta. (Almost) every other guest OS type defaults to the AMD PCNet Lance card that it has been doing for the past 5 versions.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, but you stated you were trying to use a Broadcom 57xx driver in your DOS O/S, which is certainly not emulated in VMware and does not support the e1000 series of network cards.

0 Kudos
justamal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help. I loaded AMD PCNet driver in my virtual machine. Now i am able to load the TCPIP stack successfully.

Now i have another problem. using the tcpip utility program ping, i am able to ping the virtual machine host, but i unable to ping the windows xp host. My virtual machine is bridged network. In windows xp i could see 2 vmware network connected(vnet1 and vnet8). Both are connected to virtual machine. But i want to know how to ping these two connection from my Dos virtual machine. please let me know if you have tips on this. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

How is your DOS VM configured for network connection type? If not NAT or Host-Only, then those adapters are NOT connected to your guest, and there is a good chance it will not be able to ping them...

Do you have the Windows Firewall running? If so, you will need to configure it to allow some traffic. By default, ICMP is dropped, I believe.

0 Kudos
justamal
Contributor
Contributor

I have a DOS legacy application(C++ program) and a Windows XP(C++ program) applications,

I want these applications to be communicated using TCPIP Stack. I purchased a TCPIP Stack

package from Novell vendor.

I have DRDOS guest operating system in my VMWARE virtual machine. My Host operating system

is Windows XP Sp2. I could see 3 network connected(Vmnet8, Vmnet1, BroadCom Netxtreme 57xx)

in my windows xp system. Please see below the ipconfig/all results. when i was created the

DOS Virtual machine, i selected network as bridged network. I successfully loaded AMD PCNET

ODI Driver in my DOS Virtual machine. And also loaded TCPIP Protocol Stack(tcpip.exe)

in my DOS Operating System. please see below the Tcpip protocol stack config file net.cfg details.

The problem i face that i unable to ping the Windows xp operating system virtual connection

VMnet8 from DOS Virtual machine. And also I unable to ping DOS Virtual machine from windows xp

operating system. Ping is a utility that is purchased along with the tcpip protocol stack package.

please have a look at my configuration details below and guide me how to enable the network

between Windows XP Host and DOS Virtual Machine.

For Your Information:

\----

1. My Windows XP Firwall is off

2. From Windows xp, able to Ping 192.168.0.1(VMnet8 of windows xp)

3. From Windows xp, able to Ping 192.168.229.1(VMnet1 of windows xp)

4. From Windows xp, unable to Ping 192.168.124.128(VMnet8 of DOS Virtual machine)

4. From DOS Virtual machine, unable to Ping 192.168.0.1(VMnet8)

5. From DOS Virtual machine, unable to Ping 192.168.229.1(VMnet1)

6. In Windows xp, for VMNet8, I set Default Gateway as 192.168.124.2(this number i took it from virtual machine)

************************************************************************************

net.cfg

\-------

Link Support

Buffers 8 1504

MemPool 8192

LINK DRIVER PCNTNW

PORT 2000

FRAME ETHERNET_802.2

FRAME ETHERNET_II

PROTOCOL TCPIP

IP_ADDRESS 192.168.124.128 LAN_NET

IP_NETMASK 255.255.255.0 LAN_NET

IP_ROUTER 192.168.124.2 LAN_NET

BIND PCNTNW #1 ETHERNET_II LAN_NET

PATH TCP_CFG C:\NWCLIENT\TCP

TCP_SOCKETS 15

UDP_SOCKETS 15

TCP_WINDOW 10240

**************************************************************************************

c:>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ie10dtxp94lhd1s

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : global.ds.honeywell.com

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : global.ds.honeywell.com

hiso.honeywell.com

ds.honeywell.com

honeywell.com

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.124.2

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.229.1

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hiso.honeywell.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-B3-67-94

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 199.63.54.191

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 199.63.54.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 199.63.32.164

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 199.63.32.7

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 199.63.32.100

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 131.127.216.107

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:22:19 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:22:19

PM**************************************************************************************

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You \*still* haven't answered my question. How is your VM's network connection type configured - bridged/nat/host-only/custom?

>From Windows xp, unable to Ping 192.168.124.128(VMnet8 of DOS Virtual machine)

How/where did you set this IP address? From everything else on your host, this address is NOT accessible... so it is not surprising that you cannot ping it.

0 Kudos