VMware Communities
IanDvs
Contributor
Contributor

LiveScribe Pulse SmartPen - USB Device to a VM

I have VMware Workstation 7.1.1 installed on a Windows System 7 host with an XP Pro VM.

I also have a Livescribe application which has a USB connected Pulse SmartPen. This comes with a suitable driver from LiveScribe. I have used this Pen connected to a regular XP Pro laptop (no VM at all) sucessfully for a few years now.

When I got my new 64bit System 7 laptop with VM Workstation, I loaded the LiveScribe driver on the System 7 and found it made the machine unstable. So I reverted to a prior restore point thereby uninstalling it.

As the driver had worked sucessfully on a regular XP system, I installed the driver on the XP Pro virtual machine, set up the machine to capture any new USB device plugged into the host and tried it that way.

Windows 7 of course no longer has the device driver and basically while recognizing that the device is there, plants it firmly in the Unknown Devices list in the Device Manager tree. VM Workstation however seems to ignore the thing all together. The manual says that, even though the host has no driver, VM should pick up the device, put it in the Removeable Devices table (and if you're lucky) connect it directly to the current VM with that has the focus.

However, it's doing none of this and as I said is basically ignoring the device even though System 7 sees it.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Ian Davis - LANDesk.

0 Kudos
0 Replies