VMware Communities
sdcampbell68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux host has Windows and Linux guest screen resolution problem

I have two Linux systems, both running Ubuntu 22.04 and VMWare Workstation 16. One is a desktop, the other a laptop. On the desktop, my guest screen resolution works as it should on both Windows and Linux vm's. On the laptop (again, running Ubuntu 22.04), I imported my vm's as ova files from the desktop. Both Windows and Linux vm's running on the laptop reset the screen resolution to the highest resolution every time I put the guest in full screen. I can't see what I'm doing at this high resolution.

I'm running Workstation 16.2.5 build-20904516.

I did try reinstalling vmware tools and restarted and the problem persists.

Edit: Specifying the monitor max resolution, plus stretching the display in view settings fixed it for me, or at least is was a workaround that I can live with.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As a matter of interest, if you look at the VMs Virtual Machine Settings - Hardware - Display, under the 'Monitors' section what are you seeing . . . 'Use host settings' or 'Specify monitor settings' ?

Post Note: Couple of things . . .

- Does the resolution issue occur if you crate a VM from scratch rather then using imported ova ?

- One other place you might like to take a look, is the associated .vmx file to see if there are any erroneous settings

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Seems like an odd problem that shouldn't be happening.

However, I am confused as to why you didn't just copy the VMs entire folders (usually I zip them up to create a backup) from one computer to the other instead of going through the extra steps of exporting them to an ovf file, then importing them.

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As a matter of interest, if you look at the VMs Virtual Machine Settings - Hardware - Display, under the 'Monitors' section what are you seeing . . . 'Use host settings' or 'Specify monitor settings' ?

Post Note: Couple of things . . .

- Does the resolution issue occur if you crate a VM from scratch rather then using imported ova ?

- One other place you might like to take a look, is the associated .vmx file to see if there are any erroneous settings

0 Kudos
sdcampbell68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought it would be easier to copy the compressed ova file over scp than trying to copy the uncompressed directory and files.

0 Kudos
sdcampbell68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried both settings and it didn't help. But I did have it set to use host settings. I'll try the two things you recommended when I get back on that computer later.

0 Kudos
sdcampbell68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I hadn't been on this forum in many years. Seeing my avatar of my old dog which I lost to my ex wife in our divorce and she later gave away was hard.

0 Kudos