VMware Communities
mirrornoir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[Linux] VMware Workstation 15 Pro does not include the new icons.

I use VMware Workstation Pro on Linux and I've just upgraded from 14 to 15, but I noticed the icons did not update to the new icons in Workstation 15.

My first thought was to check in `/usr/lib/vmware/share/icons/` and indeed, the highcolor icon theme folder are all of the old icons. So I figured that this was an issue from upgrading from 14 to 15 on Linux. I then decided to check to see if the installer bundle had the new icons for me to manually update the old icons, I `--extract`ed the .bundle and checked the icons in `...vmware-player-app/lib/share/icons/hicolor` (as Workstation seems to depend on the Player icons). These are also the old icons. I've included a screenshot showing as much.

Am I missing something or are the new icons just not included in Workstation 15 for Linux?

Edit: I've attached a screenshot of VMware Workstation 15 Pro with the old icons as well.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Mirrornoir for your posting.

You are right that for Linux workstation 15 the Icons didn't get updated, which only happens on windows platform. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Mirrornoir for your posting.

You are right that for Linux workstation 15 the Icons didn't get updated, which only happens on windows platform. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mirrornoir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that Linux VMware won't be getting the new icons, or will it just be a delayed release? Honestly I'm fine with either, it's a cosmetic feature that doesn't impact usage, I just like the look of the new icons.

0 Kudos
iRunner2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Icons of Workstation on Linux are also impacted by the system icons. Some icons may change alongside with the system icon theme.

In Workstation 15, only the logo are changed together with Workstation for Windows. All other icons remain unchanged.

0 Kudos
mirrornoir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, good to know. I've marked this as solved.

0 Kudos