VMware Communities
pinsb
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Host - Win 7 Guest - Get rid of most of the frame boxes?

I am currently testing VMware Workstation 7 and am trying to understand how to reduce the amount of real estate the framing box takes.

For the avoidance of doubt I DON'T want to run full screen and I DON'T want to run in Unity mode.

What I'm looking for is that my Win 7 Desktop runs in a window size I choose with a minimal amount of VMMare menus, clutter etc round the outside.

The reason for this is I access the VMs via a VNC session to the Host, in some instances I will want to run multiple VMs and Unity doesn't allow me to immediately identify which messages came from which VM, I want to be able to do this in a glance and therefore need to reduce unneeded real estate as much as possible.

Ideally what I'd really like is to be able to have the VM run 'seamless' on the Host desktop, but all of the Guest desktop visible.

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What I'm looking for is that my Win 7 Desktop runs in a window size I choose with a minimal amount of VMMare menus, clutter etc round the outside.

It sounds like you've already reduced the amount of UI chrome as much as possible.

The reason for this is I access the VMs via a VNC session to the Host, in some instances I will want to run multiple VMs and Unity doesn't allow me to immediately identify which messages came from which VM, I want to be able to do this in a glance and therefore need to reduce unneeded real estate as much as possible.

FWIW, we do try to make it clear which Unity windows belong to which VM by color-coding the borders around the windows and the badges.

Ideally what I'd really like is to be able to have the VM run 'seamless' on the Host desktop, but all of the Guest desktop visible.

If all of the guest desktop is visible, how would that be different from running the VM in full screen mode? Or do you mean that you want to see the guest desktop in a window but to still have the guest windows running seamless as host-level windows? That's not possible.

0 Kudos
pinsb
Contributor
Contributor

>>jameslin wrote

>>It sounds like you've already reduced the amount of UI chrome as much as

possible.

I'm not sure I have reduced the real estate grab as much as I can, for example I am running a Win 7 VM at 1280 x 800 resolution, however the Linux window it's running in takes 1372 x 942 pixels, in real terms that's over 25% overhead for a few menu's, scrollbars and bit's that I don't need onscreen all the time.

>>jameslin wrote

>> If all of the guest desktop is visible, how would that be different from

running the VM in full screen mode? Or do you mean that you want to

see the guest desktop in a window but to still have the guest windows

running seamless as host-level windows? That's not possible.

It would be different because I can run multiple Win 7 VM guests in one Linux host workspace, this gives me the ability for example to have 3 guests running in one space or on one monitor I have I could run probably 10-12 VMs on screen all the time (the monitor runs at 3840 x 2400) . In full screen mode it would require user intervention to see each separate VM.

Now before anyone jumps in and says but you could do that with Unity that requires too much configuration each time, with a 'seamless' custom sized Win 7 VM I can easily see without any user intervention what app(s) is running in what session and what's happening right now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure I have reduced the real estate grab as much as I can, for example I am running a Win 7 VM at 1280 x 800 resolution, however the Linux window it's running in takes 1372 x 942 pixels, in real terms that's over 25% overhead for a few menu's, scrollbars and bit's that I don't need onscreen all the time.

Well, you shouldn't have scrollbars at all unless the guest desktop is larger than the window. All that would be left are the menubar and titlebar and the window borders, and we don't really have control over those. If you want to shrink or remove those, you should try a different window manager.

You could try VMware Player instead (it's included as part of Workstation), although I don't think it'd offer much beyond Workstation after hiding the toolbar, tabs, and status bar.

It would be different because I can run multiple Win 7 VM guests in one Linux host workspace, this gives me the ability for example to have 3 guests running in one space or on one monitor I have I could run probably 10-12 VMs on screen all the time (the monitor runs at 3840 x 2400) . In full screen mode it would require user intervention to see each separate VM.

Okay, I see, you want the guest desktops to be much smaller than the host desktop. Maybe you could enable the built-in VNC server for your VMs and use a separate VNC client for each VM? (IIRC typical VNC clients don't have menubars, although they'd still have titlebars.) A tiling window manager (e.g. ion, ratpoison) might help.

Now before anyone jumps in and says but you could do that with Unity that requires too much configuration each time

Could you elaborate on what configuration you're referring to?

0 Kudos
pinsb
Contributor
Contributor

I think you've answered my question then, there's no way to run VMware without the menubar, titlebar and windows borders?

Ho Hum back to the drawing board.

0 Kudos