VMware Communities
rgadsdon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux Host: Kernel 4.14-rc1 Breaks vmmon..

Tried VMware 12.5.7 with Kernel 4.14-rc1, and 4.13-patched vmnet compiles/loads OK, but vmmon compile fails:

/home/rgadsdon/kernel/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c: In function ‘HostIF_EstimateLockedPageLimit’:

/home/rgadsdon/kernel/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c:1597:31: error: implicit declaration of function ‘global_page_state’; did you mean ‘global_numa_state’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

unsigned int lockedPages = global_page_state(NR_PAGETABLE) +

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

global_numa_state

cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:312: /home/rgadsdon/kernel/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [Makefile:1498: _module_/home/rgadsdon/kernel/vmmon-only] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.14-rc1'

make: *** [Makefile:120: vmmon.ko] Error 2

I did try replacing ‘global_page_state’ with ‘global_numa_state’, and vmmon compiled and loaded OK, but then had 'memory error' when attempting to start a (correctly-configured) VM:

"Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.."  etc..    So presumably this is not the correct solution!

Robert Gadsdon.    September 16, 2017.

rglinuxtech.com

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rgadsdon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to mkubecek, there is a fix for this, at vmmon: fix page accounting · mkubecek/vmware-host-modules@770c7ff · GitHub

I have applied this, and VMware W/S 12.5.7 - with this patch and the 4.13 vmnet patch - now works OK, with Kernel 4.14-rc1.

Thanks are also due to Niol for the info and link..

RG.

0 Kudos
DaveNagy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  This was super!

I followed your guidance when I had the same 'build' issue with Player V14.  Your guidance fixed the build issue and the link to the fix for the physical memory issue restored my VMWare to working.

0 Kudos