VMware Communities
ScottyK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux Guests on Windows 10 Host can not access shared files

Greetings!

I'm running Workstation 15 on my windows 10 Pro laptop. It's a preinstall that came from Dell, and not a "clean" install of Windows 10.

I have currently six (and counting) Linux guests that can not access shared folders after the Linux guest reboots.

I'm successful in initially setting up the shared folder, and under /mnt/hgfs on the Linux guest the shares show up.

However once I reboot the linux guest, the shares disappear, even though "always enabled" in checked.

The /mnt/hgfs folder remains, its just empty.

At one point I was able to run a command in terminal, and it indicated that the shares are still there, just the GUI couldn't see them.

I have a suspicion it's something on the windows side, since every linux distro I try is showing the same problem.

So far I've tried the following distros.

Mageia 6

Opensuse 15.1

Ubuntu 19.10

Kubuntu 19.04

Kubuntu 19.10

Fedora 31 (KDE)

Incidentally, on my main desktop that runs Linux, every OS, Windows or Linux that I run as a VM has no problems with shared folders.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello, ScottyK

Thanks for your posting here.

I am assuming the open-vm-tools were installed on linux guest. Could you please refer to VMware Knowledge Base , which should be helpful for your case I think.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello, ScottyK

Thanks for your posting here.

I am assuming the open-vm-tools were installed on linux guest. Could you please refer to VMware Knowledge Base , which should be helpful for your case I think.

0 Kudos
ScottyK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it! Thanks for the link, I'll go update my other Linux guests...

0 Kudos