VMware Communities
gointobe
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Distribution Recommendations

I am a Windows user who wants to start learning Linux, no prior experience. Using Workstation 6, what Linux distribution should I choose that would, not only, be a good choice for a novice like myself, but also, be a good choice for ease of installation in Workstation 6?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

For easy use and getting into it I would recommend Ubuntu or Fedora (not supported in WS?).

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

there are too many distribution of linux on web you can try,

some which i suggested to my friend when he wants to learn linux,

pcoslinux ( similar GUI as windows ), knoppix ( live cd , no need to install just run from the cd ), ubuntu ( popular desktop linux, you will get ready to use virtual appliance from vmware which you just need to download and open with vmware workstation), and if you want to learn some server linux then go for redhat linux.

hope this help ....:)

esj
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu is good. easy to use and good user community. BUT!!! vmware workstation is not supported on the latest ubuntu (8.04). you may have best luck with 7.10. I'm having problems with NAT dropping connections and windows time racing forward. I suspect It wll take a point release or two before the problem is fixed

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

I reckon he wants to install Linux in VMWare, not VMWare on Linux...

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
gointobe
Contributor
Contributor

To clarify my original question, my host is Windows XP Professional. I am looking for a Linux guest. Thanks!

0 Kudos
esj
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure if 8.04 is supported as a guest either. it works (mostly) but you can't call tech support for help.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure if 8.04 is supported as a guest either. it works (mostly) but you can't call tech support for help.

There is no point to call tech support anyway...This is a free product. Very few use paid support for it.

0 Kudos
esj
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that you couldn't call vmware technical support for help with workstation 6 and using ubuntu 8.04 either as host or guest. This is one of the major irritations I have with vmware. Ubuntu is a major supported release, they ship vmware player with releases, there is a guest specific kernel with all the important vmware modules built-in and they have a predictable release cycle. But still, vmware doesn't seem to be able to get out and update for this distribution until way too late.

I think I complain only because my experience with vmware is generally very good but when it lets me down, it's a really big disappointment.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ubuntu and fedora will work flawlessly on workstation 6.x. I have installed them numerous time without any issue. I used Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 on ESX 3.5 on my production environment, It works like a charm.

If you found this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I would recommend Ubuntu - it is straightforward to install in Workstation and you can find good guides for installing VMWare Tools also.

The forum support is also good and you should be able to find answers to most (if not all) your Ubuntu questions there

I must admit that I was a little intimidated by linux before I actually started to use it and now I am happily building many of my servers with Ubuntu JeOS (which is a version of Ubuntu Server that is designed for virtulaization).

On the desktop side I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed and it is running well (with VMWare Tools installed) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bennaz
Contributor
Contributor

Will VMWARE Workstation 6.5X work with the latest version of Fedura 11 and Red Had Linux enterprise 5.3x as a guest OS?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
jeevanullas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes fedora 11 as well as RHEL5.3 seems to be working fine as guest OS for me in VMware workstation 6.5 and if you go for Fedora 11 has host OS , then you will have to patch the VMware modules. The communities forum was helpful for me to find the right patch which worked.

Have a good day. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bennaz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

Ben

0 Kudos
bennaz
Contributor
Contributor

I have downloaded Fedora 11 and would like to install it as the guest OS in VMWARE 6.5. My questions:

1. Which Linux OS should I select in the list of Linux OS's since Fedora is NOt in the list.

2. How should I install, from IMAGE (ISO) file or from the CD that was written from the ISO file.

Please advise.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lturkin
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMware Workstation 6.52 on Ubuntu 9.04. Its quite easy to setup. I have setup it with the following partitions:

/boot - 200MB

swap - 1gb (There is a big debate on the setting up of the swap file. Some people say twice ram others say 1.5 times ram.)

/ - 20gb

After that I setup a volume group for my /data partition, iSCSI target and Samba Server.

Create the Volume Group called vg1

/data - 150

/san - iscsitarget

/share - Samba Server (Its to allow my Windows virtual machines to share information easily)

I wrote directions on how to setup an iSCSI target on Ubuntu on my blog site (blog.generaltech.info)

Hopefully this helps.

0 Kudos