VMware Communities
ncio2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License personal or commercial?

Hi everyone. I have been given a VMware workstation Pro license. How do I know if it is for personal use or commercial use? Is there any difference?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There are no personal licenses for VMware Workstation Professional that I am aware about.
It is VMware Player that has personal licenses, not Workstation Professional.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@ncio2 

Who "gave" it to you? Only Player has a differential between personal and commercial use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I checked the conditions recently and while there is only one type of license for Workstation Pro, there actually seems to be a difference between personal and commercial use: with one license, you are allowed to run Workstation on up to three hosts for personal use but only on one for commercial (in the sense of VMware's definition of "commercial").

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There are no personal licenses for VMware Workstation Professional that I am aware about.
It is VMware Player that has personal licenses, not Workstation Professional.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@ncio2 

Who "gave" it to you? Only Player has a differential between personal and commercial use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
ncio2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

university gave it to me as a price on a coding challenge, however now I (finally) started to work so I was wondering if I could keep using that laptop with that vmware installation.

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I checked the conditions recently and while there is only one type of license for Workstation Pro, there actually seems to be a difference between personal and commercial use: with one license, you are allowed to run Workstation on up to three hosts for personal use but only on one for commercial (in the sense of VMware's definition of "commercial").

ncio2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the info. really appreciate it

0 Kudos