VMware Communities
vermarohit
Contributor
Contributor

License for older VMware workstation 7.1.6

Due to some limitation of my device (Linux 32 bit) I have to use old version of workstation 7.1.6.

I have two questions regarding that:

1) Is there any possible way to use it for evaluation purpose first?

Further, there is no "Get Free Trial" option For Workstation 7 series and from Workstation 8 Series "Get Free Trial" link takes me to latest available version that is Workstation pro 12.5.

2) In feature I may need to get license (after verifying it is working for me), but I am not able to find that also.

Is it possible to get license for older vmware workstation version like 7.1.6. If yes then how??

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure if there is any way of purchasing a license for version 7.x - contact VMware sales directly.

You could always use the free VMware Player - version 6.0.7 is the latest version which supports 32-bit host OS's (I have a Windows XP laptop I need to run similarly).

0 Kudos
vermarohit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion.

I couldn't find VMware Player - version 6.0.7 for linux 32bit anywhere. Though I have tried version 5.0.2 which is giving me following error:

"One or more of your processors does not have the necessary 64bit extensions to run VMware virtual machines."

From google I understood that this version requires 64 bit cpu but my device have 32 bit cpu.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Is your guest VM 64-bit or 32-bit?

Desktop PCs and laptops/notebooks that have 32-bit Intel processors but have 64-bit instruction set extensions (called EMT64) were capable of running 64-bit guest VMs.

PCs from this era (around 2003-2007) typically have an option in the BIOS to enable Intel Virtualization Technology and/or 64-bit extensions; and usually they were disabled by default.

Absence of EMT64 extensions would not allow you to run 64-bit guest VMs on 32-bit OS/processors. But the Intel VT BIOS option has to be enabled to run 32-bit guest VM on 32-bit host/OS.

So you have to go into your host machine's BIOS and look for any setting to enable Intel Virtualization Technology (or VT or Intel VT similar sounding name).

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

What is the exact model of the CPU? If you know the exact model/name and it is an Intel you can check the specifications on

Intel® Product Specifications

Sorry I am not familiar with AMD processors but most likely there would some specification in their website available.

If you don't know the processor name, or at least what is the exact brand/model of your host PC and maybe from there we can determine the processor?

What is your host OS? If it is Ubuntu, you can use lshw or "About this Computer" and it will list out the exact processor name.

0 Kudos