VMware Communities
arielk
Contributor
Contributor

Lenovo thinkpad W540 doesnt work with VMware products properly

Hey there. I hope im posting in the right place.

I've just started working at a new company and i got a 'Lenovo thinkpad W540' \ Laptop. In my work i must work in virtualized environments and in my last place we worked i insisted they purchase Vmware workstation because this is what im used to work with.

Now here its kindoff the same but only the VMware Workstation doesnt work fluently! (Both Vsphere and Workstation have the same problem for me)

The Problem:

whenever i start a new instance of a Virtual Machine (Any windows OS i checked had the same result), when i focus it with my mouse, my mouse suddenly doesnt respond and only the keyboard does.

sometimes it goes the other way around - only the mouse responds and there is no keyboard. With a lot of playing and workarounds i figured a temporary 'fix'. In order to the problem to retain control of my mouse and keyboard in the virtualized environment i found out that if i delete and add again the Usb controller it then works. sometimes all i must do is delete it and suddenly my mouse and keyboard are both working. if i try to do that a lot of times and i still dont have my mouse and keyboard on my virtual machine i must restart my host computer to make it work.

I have no clue of whatever should i do..

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Asharam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are several known problems with VMware Workstation and Lenovo laptops.  See this thread.

Vmware Workstation 12 Pro - Mouse Stops Working

0 Kudos