VMware Communities
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Latest Windows Skippy build X-64 PRO as HOST won't install VMWare workstation

Hi there

In addition to problems of people not being able to install the latest Windows releases as Guests the problem also occurs the other way around on the latest Skippy build. If you clean install Windows (i.e don't upgrade from previous Windows releas) the VMWare installer won't start at all. If you upgrade Windows to this release from a previous working Windows release then any Guest VM will hang your system when you try and attach a USB device to the GUEST.

So 2 defects -- 1 on New Windows installs VMWare workstation won't install, 2 on upgraded windows releases vmWare hangs entire system when a USB device is attached to the GUEST.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BFeely
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation has been a total disaster for me too since 19H1 build 18237.

My issues have been the vmware_vmx.exe freezing up either on boot or when dragging and dropping files from host to guest.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

It's worked like a champ for me after several Insider Preview updates including the current 18845.    I wish I could explain further than blind luck but I can't.  On the other hand I cannot get the Linux version to work on any build of kernel 5.0.0 on Fedora.   Strangely, or not, Virtualbox works on this kernel as does Gnome-Boxes.

0 Kudos