VMware Communities
Jwch
Contributor
Contributor

Latest VMWARE ws 17 USB arbitration service bugged

Hi

I am using the latest version of VMware workstation 17, and I find that the USB arbitration service somehow bugged my host Fn key

This problem is for the host, not VMs

Whenever laptop restart, the Fn+F1-F12 key will not work until I do trigger the Fn+Esc to lock and unlock Fn key again it will resume working. If I stop the VMware USB arbitration service, the Fn key combination works fine

If this matter, I am using Asus UX8406 Zenbook Duo 2024 version. The interesting part is if I use the keyboard as BT connection, this problem disappear, the problem only happen if the keyborard is attached and connect as internal keyboard

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

There were usb arbitration issues in the past which were solved e.g. by VMware USB Arbitration service fails to start in VMware Workstation (2043656) .

Can you check coniguration mismatches with the Asus keyboard hotkeys utility? [Notebook] Asus Keyboard hotkeys - Introduction | Official Support | ASUS USA

Btw. with a guest os Windows 2025 preview, sending ctrl-alt-del to the vm fpr initial login works. The simple click inside to the console does not work actually.

0 Kudos
Jwch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but this is not happening inside VMs, it's happening on host Windows 11.

The FN+Esc key still works to lock/unlock F1-F12 keys, but Fn+F1-F12 will not work until I trigger the unlock by Fn+Esc again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Strange, I would have assumed it‘s a host specific issue and that it would be solveable by the tool mentioned or by a corresponding bios setting. I‘m afraid.

0 Kudos