VMware Communities
Dhaval_Abotiyaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Latest VMWARE WORKSTATION version support MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 20003 STANDARD EDITION 32 BIT

Dear Experts,

I tried to install Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition 32 bit in VMWARE WORKSTATION 15. I am not able to install it all time it is showing black screen. I go through documents for  which guest os support which vmwork station.

Can anyone help me which latest version of vmware Workstation support Windows Server 2003 standard edition 32 bit as a guest OS.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Supported or not, it is possible - here's an example of where Workstation 12 was used.

Focus on troubleshooting:

Are you sure your installation media is without issues?

How many CPUs and how much memory did you give the VM?

What size disk does the VM have?

Were you able to Install VMware Tools?

Have you tried to follow the instructions from Microsoft?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

See page 113: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

Supported in Workstation 15.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Dhaval_Abotiyaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My operating system is Microsoft windows server 2003  edition 32 bit. And as per shared compatibility guide 6.5.2 version is supported!

Am i right ?

Or v15 can run this as a guest os?

Please look attached image

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you look at page 113?

31AD9F51-38C7-4973-801C-9E3238F742EE.jpeg

0 Kudos
Dhaval_Abotiyaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes i go through page no.113  and for windows server 2003 it is showing.

But on page no. 114 for windows server 2003 standard edition it is showing only ws 6.5.2 version.

My operating system is standard edition.

So for standard edition do support v15?

Please see attached image

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There may be special editions like the Small Business edition. However, Windows Server 2003 - as pointed out be scott28tt​ - is supported to run on current VMware Hypervisors. However, Microsoft dropped support for Windows 2003 years ago, so consider carefully, whether you want to use it in case this is meant for production purposes.

As a side note: Windows 2003 created partitions with a 63 blocks (31.5kB) offset, which is not optimal. You may want to prepare partitions with a 1MB (1,024 kB) offset before using them.

André

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Supported or not, it is possible - here's an example of where Workstation 12 was used.

Focus on troubleshooting:

Are you sure your installation media is without issues?

How many CPUs and how much memory did you give the VM?

What size disk does the VM have?

Were you able to Install VMware Tools?

Have you tried to follow the instructions from Microsoft?

0 Kudos