VMware Communities
gbonnema
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kubuntu: enter license for evaluation impossible

Hi,

Yesterday I asked for an evaluation period of vmware workstation 9 and spent an hour or less installing. The rest of the day I was trying to get the trial license number with 30 days access into the tool.

I did everything from uninstall to complete reinstall, searched docs, searched community.  I just cannot get the help>Enter license key to show me the dialog where I can input the license key. I get the screen with the 3 buttons (get license key, enter license key, register), but when I push the get license key, nothing happens. No dialog appears. It is not concealed (sometimes happens that the main window conceals a dialog). I just cannot get it to appear.

With a trial license I have no right to official support. So you guys are my last hope to get this trial running. I checked all the documentation I could find, but they all say the same: do help>enter license key>enter license key.

Does anyone know what to do?

Guus.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have the License Key?  If yes you can workaround the GUI issue using a Terminal.

In a Terminal use the following command and use your actual serial number in place of the fake one shown.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx --new-sn 1A2B3-C4D5E-6F7G8-H9I0J-1K2L3M

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You said you pushed the "get license key" button!? What happens if you push "Enter license key"?

With registering for the VMware Workstation Evaluation, you should either have received an email with the license key or you should see it in the Evaluations section, when you login to your My VMware account.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have the License Key?  If yes you can workaround the GUI issue using a Terminal.

In a Terminal use the following command and use your actual serial number in place of the fake one shown.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx --new-sn 1A2B3-C4D5E-6F7G8-H9I0J-1K2L3M

0 Kudos
gbonnema
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I pushed both get license key (got a website to buy LR), and enter license key. And the last one just doesnt work.

Thanks for pointing that out.

0 Kudos
gbonnema
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much! That solved the issue.

Still don't understand why the dialog for enter the license key wouldnt show, but the problem is solved. I still have 29 days Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos