VMware Communities
mwapnitsky
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard not working VMWARE Workstation

VMWARE Workstation works fine for Windows 7 guests generated for Workstation.  I converted a REAL Windows 10 machine using VMware vCenter conversion tool and the keyboard does not work.  I reran the conversion with the same results.  I purchased a new USB keyboard and tried to connect it directly to the guest, but no improvement.  Any suggestions?  If this is not the correct forum, please redirect it,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The {code} area is for SDK matters, I've asked moderators to take a look and decide the best place for the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Moved your post..

This is pretty much always because the original hardware was a laptop and had a track pad with synaptics software. That Synaptics software interferes with VMware's keyboard drivers.

The solution is to remove the synaptics software (control panel -> add/remove software) and then run the physical to virtual migration again.

If you can't rerun the migration, or prefer not to do so, then you'll have to use the on screen keyboard (OSK) that comes with Windows in order to uninstall the synaptics stuff and reboot.

See also:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-the-on-screen-keyboard-osk-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c...

FWIW there's a button that seems to look like a clock icon on the Windows 7 login screen to enable the OSK.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva