VMware Communities
aaroncampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kernel Module Updater failing

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and now I can't use VMWare Workstation anymore.  I have version 8.0.3, but when I run it I'm prompted with "Before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel." and given the option to "Cancel" or "Install".

Screenshot from 2012-05-07 08_19_17.png

Then I click Install and am prompted for my sudo password.  When it runs the updates, the compiling of the "Virtual Network Device" seems to fail.

Screenshot from 2012-05-07 08_21_47.png

Then I get an error "Unable to start services" that tells me to check a log file for details.

Screenshot from 2012-05-07 08_23_41.png

I'm attaching the log file.  Also, if it makes a difference, I first had this issue on 8.0.2 but when I saw 8.0.3 was out I downloaded and updated but still had the same problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RageBoar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the patch worked for me:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz

I have vm workstation 8.0.3, and Ubuntu 12.04 Precise, kernel 3.2.0.24, and hit same problem as OP.

my steps

1. unzip the tar.gz, open and modile the version check of patch file : patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

vmreqver=8.0.3

plreqver=4.0.3

2. go to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

3. extract the vmnet.tar

tar xvf vmnet.tar

4. apply patch

patch -p1 < /home/user/Downloads/vmware3.2.0.patch

5. retar the source

tar cvf vmnet.tar vmnet-only/

6. rerun vmware kernel module updater...

good luck..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
mjwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I recently upgraded to Linux Mint 12 LMDE 201204, and am having the same problem exactly.

It appears to be trying to build the virtual network modules (vmmon-specifically) and is failing to locate the appropriate requirements.

have any of these files changed location or do I maybe need to download soruce files?

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
tiberiustibz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You need to patch some stuff. Not clear exactly but this script worked for me after modifcation of the version number:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2012/01/26/vmware-workstation-8-0-2-player-4-0-2-fix-for-linu...

NAT through vmware is not working though...

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Even though you modify the patch-modules_3.2.0.sh script to repace vmreqver=8.0.3 and plreqver=4.0.3 - it still doesnt work for Kernel Linux 3.2.0.  I experinced the same propblem and was directed to the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2012.   Several people seem to be asking this same question on different threads ( e.g. http://communities.vmware.com/message/2039049#2039049, http://communities.vmware.com/message/2017946 ).

However the previrew is only good for 30 days - which is disappointing because I just purchased Workstation 8 in February ( only 90 days ago ).

0 Kudos
turcas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still not working.Smiley Sad  I install the patch does not work though. 7.1.5 does not work even

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Actually I believe the TP is valid until Oct 15.   Get the key from the beta page.  I now use it exclusively on my experimental Linux insttallions  with kenrels 3.2 and up to 3.4 ( with openSUSE12.2 KOTD it worked with the version I installed using 3.3 - which really surprised me)   No showstopper problems  just the usual beta bugs and running in debug mode. .  However on my server I am using 8.0.2 and don't plan to upgrade until perhaps 8.1.x comes out and is a free upgrade (like the 7 versions)

0 Kudos
RageBoar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the patch worked for me:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz

I have vm workstation 8.0.3, and Ubuntu 12.04 Precise, kernel 3.2.0.24, and hit same problem as OP.

my steps

1. unzip the tar.gz, open and modile the version check of patch file : patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

vmreqver=8.0.3

plreqver=4.0.3

2. go to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

3. extract the vmnet.tar

tar xvf vmnet.tar

4. apply patch

patch -p1 < /home/user/Downloads/vmware3.2.0.patch

5. retar the source

tar cvf vmnet.tar vmnet-only/

6. rerun vmware kernel module updater...

good luck..

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect solution !!  THX

0 Kudos
aaroncampbell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks SlugiusRex for posting here because I almost forgot to come back and report that this worked perfectly for me!  Hopefully these fixes will find their way into the distribution soon.

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm very happy that I got Workstation 8 running, but I think I shot mysellf in the foot by installing the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2012 which several posts recommended before the patch to the patch was published.

The problem I have now is that Workstation reports that there are updates to VMware Tools - but they won't install.

vmToolsBusts.png

I think its because I picked up the version of Tools that came with the Technology Preview, and now they won't remove themseleves.  Im just gessing.

It would be SO much esier if there were some RPM/DEB packages that could be added to the package manager.  Maybe one set of packages for hosts to maintain the Workstation; and a second that maintained the VMTools inside the client.  There is, of course, OpenVMTools - which works well; but I;m not sure if that is VMWare maintained.  I would much rather point to an official VMWare repository.

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The same problem occurs with the 8.0.4 upgrade that was published today.  There was no mention of any problems in the release notes.  Hopefully the patch process described in RageBoar's post #7 above will fix this issue as as easily as it did the last time.  Maybe it will also correct the VMTools issue I was having with my guest VM as well.

RANT :  I feel like it is totally frustrating that this keeps happening.  VMWare keeps publishing updates to workstation that uninstall a previous working version and try to install something that won't build and needs to be patched.  Then when you try to obtain the patch - you can't find it anywhere on the VMWare corporate site; but have to download it off an unknown blog somewhere (http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/).  

Not to criticize the person who made the patch ( “good onya mate”, actually) - but this isn't a solution we can carry to our security- conscious customers.  This would be acceptable with open-source software - but not with commercial products that we pay for.   It makes me wonder how thoroughly the VMTeam is testing the products they are releasing.

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The patch worked, but not in a straigt-forward way.  It had a problem because I had previously applied the patch for 8.0.3.

$ sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/.patched found. You have already patched your sources. Exiting

I thought about just removing that .patched file, and then just repapplying the patch - but wan't sure if that was a good idea.   So instead of finishing the upgrade in place approach I went to the VMWare site and dowloaded a completly fresh install of Workstation 8.0.4.

I then uninstalled the 8.0.4 that was done with the upgrader from 8.0.3 using

$ sudo vmware-installer --uninstall-component=vmware-workstation

When prompted to remove the configuration settings I was obligated to choose 'yes' ( the 'no' option didn't work the first time ).   Once that was done, I was able to install the install the fresh install I had jsut downloaded.

$ sudo sh ./VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.4-744019.x86_64.txt   (for my processor)

After that runnning the patch was no problem.  I just followed the patch process described in RageBoar's post #7 above.

BTW  - The full uninstall-component fixed the VMTools issue I ws having in post 10.  I am no longer seeing those messages.
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad this worked for you. it's jus a typo but the command to uninstall WS should read;

$sudo /usr/bin/vmware-installer - u vmware-workstation

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interrresting ... 

vmware-installer -h  lists two options

--uninstall-component=NAME
                        Force uninstallation of a component
    -u NAME, --uninstall-product=NAME
                        Uninstall a product

What's the difference (other than one says

component and the other says
product )
?? 

0 Kudos
moeed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works perfect! Thanks man!

0 Kudos
pororke
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A big thanks to the OP - worked for me.  Thanks!  I'd been pullingmy hair out!

0 Kudos
SlugiusRex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu published an updated version of the Kernel over the weekend.  Updater continues to fail.  It looks like everyone will need to repeat the UNINSTAL-REINSTALL-PATCH sequence again.

0 Kudos
deee_zal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works like a champ. Thanks!

Ubuntu 12.0.4

Workstation 8.0.4

0 Kudos
brianwallace
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read all the posts. I was having this issue and resolved it by following the threads which led me to upgrade to Workstation 9, with Ubuntu kernel 3.2. Then I was having the Updater fail with a message saying that yet another dependency was missing. The missing program was 'make'. I had not installed it. So I downloaded and applied the patch provided in http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103172#2103172

The patch name is: vmware9_kernel35_patch.tar.bz2 (1.7 K)

then I installed make by doing:

sudo apt-get install make.

then I ran vmware again from command line:

sudo vmware.

The vmware updater ran perfectly and completed.

RESOLVED! THANKS TO ALL WHO POSTED ON THIS!

0 Kudos