VMware Communities
antioch94531
Contributor
Contributor

Keep losing NIC on client Ubuntu 10.04

Worstation 8, ubuntu 10.04 32 bit, Host is Win 7 64

My Ubuntu client does not have a network connection at least 50% of the time when I start it.  When it doesn't work, it will continue not to work (even if I restart) until I go to the host and remove the VMWare bridged connection service then restart the host computer then reinstall the service, this is a ton of time everytime I want to get my network back up.

This does restrore it, but I want to to work all the time, Please advise (Note: I tried to use the Player instead, and I have the same issues)

Small office, two PC's, Internet only required, no server, Firewall etc - gets DHCP (NAT) from router.

NOTE:  I did read thorough many similar network posts and that is where I learned to re-install the bridged connection service, but that only fixes it for a couple of reboots at most, then it happens again.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
antioch94531
Contributor
Contributor

One more note, Yes I switch from Bridged to NAT and vice versa and that does not seem to fix this issue...it's really frustrating, I WANT this to work but so far out of 6 machines 2 have this issue.  They are different computers, one i7-2600 with Asus MB, and one an HP i5 system (HP is running WinXP, host is Win7 64).

Host on both machines is fine on network, it's only my client.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
I would suggest to stick to bridged network.
Create a batchfile with this content:

net stop vmnetbridge
net start vmnetbridge

and store it as restart-bridge.cmd

whenever you see the problem again right click the batch and use "run as admin"

this usually helps

0 Kudos
antioch94531
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I have tried that and it has worked once, but does not usually fix my problem.  So far the only sure way is to uninstall and reinstall the service on the host.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
koral
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, I am having the exact same issue using guest Ubuntu 11 in VMware Player (4.0.3 build-703057), host Win7-64. NAT works, but bridged connection doesn't work until I remove the VMware bridged connection service, restart host and reinstall the service. Very time consuming.

0 Kudos
antioch94531
Contributor
Contributor

What I did :

1.  Install USB NIC (second nic in machine)

2.  Only allow VMWare service

3.  Bridged

And it keeps it up mostly...when it does fail, I only have to stop and restart the network connection in Ubuntu, not on the W7 host.  I never have to reboot either the client or the host.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
koral
Contributor
Contributor

That's a great workaround, thanks antioch94531

0 Kudos