VMware Communities
kstatinet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kali Linux - Burpsuite not rendering

disclaimer: new to Kali and Linux in general and also VMWare 🙂

Have: Kali Linux 2020.2 installed in VW Pro 15.5.6 (originally 15.5.2 -> upgraded to 15.5.5 (keyboard didn't work) -> upgraded 15.5.6)

Thinkpad T490 w/16gigs. VM allocated 8 gig, procs 4 (2cores/proc), Disk 30gig for Kali.

Issue: Burpsuite community edition 2020.6 is not rendering on the third screen. What I mean by that is when I start Burpsuite I get the first 3 windows are showing up just fine. The third screen (after clicking on Start Burp in the prior window & not changing any defaults), appears to be black with garbled letters.

In addition:

a) sometimes Kali freezes (mouse pointer becomes a diamond with circle in it). Can only reboot to solve the freeze issue.

b) I messed w/Java reinstall. Needed to 'play' with Java version because Burpside opening window was not happy with the version installed in Kali by default.

Deleted everything in /usr/lib/jvm/ folder with rm -rf command. Installed

java --version

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true

java 14.0.1 2020-04-14

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 14.0.1+7)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.1+7, mixed mode, sharing)

However, I could not make line below work.

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk14-0.1/bin/javaws" 1

Is only solution is to reinstall Kali?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kstatinet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Scott

Reviewing Installation settings helped with rendering window issue.

I unselected Accelerate 3D graphics in Display settings and this solved the problem.

p.s. Regarding: my other comment on javaws, please disregard. Java web start support was depreciated in new versions of Java.

Hopefully, no more freezes of Kali in VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Pro area, seeing as that is the VMware product you are using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This may help:

https://www.kali.org/docs/virtualization/install-vmware-workstation-player-kali-guest-vm/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
kstatinet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Scott

Reviewing Installation settings helped with rendering window issue.

I unselected Accelerate 3D graphics in Display settings and this solved the problem.

p.s. Regarding: my other comment on javaws, please disregard. Java web start support was depreciated in new versions of Java.

Hopefully, no more freezes of Kali in VM.

0 Kudos