VMware Communities
Thomas84
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed latest vmware workstation 14.1.1 update on my host = Result: BSOD Inaccessible boot device

Hi,

i just installed vmware workstation update 14.1.1 on my host (AMD Threadripper 1950x on Asus ROG Zenith Extreme, with Samsung 960 PRO NVME boot drive, Windows 10 Pro x64) and did a restart after the vmware update was successful. My host machine where vmware workstation is installed is not able to boot windows 10 anymore, inaccessible boot device. (repair is not possible/successful).

At the moment i am running a acronis system recovery made some days ago. - I hope after recovery my system will be up and running again. - I just want to let other vmware users know, that there is possible a bug with the latest 14.1.1 patch !?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you share your BSOD VM's vmware.log together with any dump file ? Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

i can see VMware Workstation 14.1 Pro Release Notes

Virtual machines might crash after you upgrade to VMware Workstation 14 Pro on a host with an AMD graphics processing unit

This issue is resolved.

I am  not sure what error message  you are getting ....

Can you post the screeshot of the error message you are getting

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
Thomas84
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Susie, i guess you haven't understand the problem right: Not any of my vm's is crashing, the host (hypervisor platform) where vmware workstation 14 is installed on does not boot anymore since i patched vmware workstation to 14.1.1. - At the moment i have no access to any files of my physical machine, because the acronis recovery hasn't turned out well: Now i have some problems with the MBR / Secure boot / uefi-ish side of things... - A nightmare for me, because my production machine is out of order now and i have not really any time to do troubleshooting on this machine.

0 Kudos
Thomas84
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, after some trouble withe uefi/secure boot i was able to restore an acronis image of my physical machine (where vmware workstation is installed on) which is booting fine again. - First thing i tried was upgrading vmware workstation to 14.1.1 and this time the upgrade was successful, my physical machine had no boot problems after the update process. - So i guess it was a "one time"-error/bad circumstances or something else (perhaps meltdown/spectre patch from microsoft ?) which "crashed" my machine the first time when i upgraded to vmware workstation 14.1.1 .

0 Kudos