VMware Communities
Behseini
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just Two Questions?

Hi Guys ,

I am new in vmware and Networking ,as well and I really need your help to understand some issues!

First of all, I installed the vmware workstation at my system(Win 7 x 64) I also installed Ms Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard as host by using the New Virtual Machine method.

The problem is that when I closed the vmware and I start it agian there was not any Windows Server at virtual machine!

and I had to install the host once agian.Now my question is that do I have to repaet this every time?!

I also try to access to the server by Remote Desktop which was so complicated for me:smileyplain:.

How can I create connection between virstual matchine host and my desktop or laptop?Please give me some advise about thsese two issues

Best Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

if you don't see the guest OS (Windows 2008) in the inventory of VMware Workstation, choose File->Open from the menu, browse to the folder in which you installed the VM and select the vmx file. This should add the VM to the inventory. If it does not stay there, you may have some permission issues.

To be able to RDP to the Windows 2008 guest you need to allow RDP connections within the WIndows 2008 guest itself. Depending on the network configuration (Bridged, NAT, Custom) you selected in the VM's settings you need to configure the network appropriately.

If you can't figure it out, please post the output of "ipconfig /all" from the Windows 7 host as well as from the Windows 2008 guest and attach the vmx file to your next post.

Hint: After installing the guest, make sure you also install the VMware Tools (choosing "Typical" works for most guests). The Tools install drivers for the virtual hardware as well as some tools for optimized resource management.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

if you don't see the guest OS (Windows 2008) in the inventory of VMware Workstation, choose File->Open from the menu, browse to the folder in which you installed the VM and select the vmx file. This should add the VM to the inventory. If it does not stay there, you may have some permission issues.

To be able to RDP to the Windows 2008 guest you need to allow RDP connections within the WIndows 2008 guest itself. Depending on the network configuration (Bridged, NAT, Custom) you selected in the VM's settings you need to configure the network appropriately.

If you can't figure it out, please post the output of "ipconfig /all" from the Windows 7 host as well as from the Windows 2008 guest and attach the vmx file to your next post.

Hint: After installing the guest, make sure you also install the VMware Tools (choosing "Typical" works for most guests). The Tools install drivers for the virtual hardware as well as some tools for optimized resource management.

André

0 Kudos