VMware Communities
ianbhenderson73
Contributor
Contributor

Joining a Vista machine to a VMWare Workstation Domain

Hello

I have built a virtual network consisting of 3 server images and a workstation image (XP). It's a Windows 2003 domain and presented no problems when joining 2 of the 3 servers and the workstation to it. However, I'm now trying to add a physical laptop, running Window Vista Ultimate,and it is complaining about not being able to find a DNS server for the Domain that I'm trying to connect to.

Is there something special that I need to do because I'm joining a physical machine to a virtual domain?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is there something special that I need to do because I'm joining a physical machine to a virtual domain?

Nope, nothing special needs to be done.

You should check to make sure that your vista installation can ping your domain controller by IP and by Name first. Perhaps your Vista machine is configured with a different DNS server then the rest of your (virtual) machines on your 2003 domain?

I am also wondering if your virtual machines were set up behind a NAT network (which might be the default network configuration if you used the VMware New Virtual Machine Wizard when installing them).

0 Kudos