VMware Communities
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues with stretch/autofit after 15.5 upgrade

Prior to VMWare Pro 15.5, stretch for all OSes was finally working correctly. If you set a machine to use only stretch, the UI would respect it and would always show up stretch (either aspect or free), regardless of "Autofit Guest" setting, which is grayed out when a VM is set to stretch.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

However, since 15.5, the VMs randomly auto-fit on resizing the main window, instead of stretching, even if the VM is set to stretch-only.

pastedImage_0.png

This causes a huge inconvenience on HDPI displays where the base resolution of the VMs is intentionally set to lower so that the machine can stretch. As mentioned at the top, this appeared to be working correctly prior to 15.5, as you can see...

This:

pastedImage_7.png

Vs. now:

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi:

Sorry for the inconvenience brought to you. And I can not reproduce the issue you raised on my side, would you help to provide more detail information?

1) Have you updated to the latest VMTools11.0 version?

2) What's your host/guest system

As a workaround, i think you can first choose the Autosize type to "Center Guest" and then enable "Stretch Guest"

0 Kudos
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do have the latest VMWare Tools on all affected guests.

Easy way to reproduce.

On an HDPI display, do the following:

1. Set the base resolution of the host to a lower than native resolution.

2. While in that lower resolution, change the VM settings to not allow stretching.

3. This will cause the VM resolution to automatically adjusted to fit (if Auto-fit Guest is set at the VMWorkstation level on the View Menu).

4. Go into the VM Settings and select Stretch Mode (either mode is fine).

5. Change the resolution of the host back up to native.

6. The VM should "stretch" and still look well-sized.

7. At this point, because the VM is set to "Stretch Mode", the View -> AutoSize is disabled and can no longer be changed.

8. Press this button on the toolbar (toggle stretch mode at the VMWare level).

pastedImage_0.png

The VM's resolution will be immediately auto-sized, and the items will again be incredibly small, with the need of having to go through the whole process I have just described.

My take on this is that if Stretch Mode is selected at the VM level, no Autofit involving a guest resolution change should be taking place, precisely because, while in Stretch Mode, the View -> AutoSize options are disabled.

NOTE: Again, be mindful that this is not only happening with pressing this button. It just happens to reproduce it easily. For me, the issue is that it happens randomly, like for example, when a VMWare alert pops at the bottom panel of the Workstation window, the VM resolution is autosized, hence my issue (getting tired of setting things back up so often).

0 Kudos
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The workaround of setting the Autofit setting to "Center Guest" does work to alleviate the issue.

As far as my host, I use Windows 10 1903, and my guests are Windows Server 2019, Windows 7 and Windows 10 1903.

0 Kudos