VMware Communities
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues installing vmware tools on openSUSE 11.4 guest on Windows 7 host

I am running Workstation 7 on a Windows 7 host, created new openSUSE 11.4 guest all went well and rebooted guest.

Installed (after making certain all updates had been applied):

• kernel-source
  • kernel-syms
  • gcc & gcc-c++
  • make
  • linux-kernel-headers
  • binutils
  • binutils-devel

Then followed approach to install vmware tools and once I ran the vmware-install.pl procedure it complained that it could not build the following:

• vmhgfs
  • vmci
  • vsock

Output from uname -a

Linux openSUSE6411-4 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I found an article that talked about patching the vmware tools source for vmhgfs, this I did and managed to get vmhgfs to installed correctly.

I do not know what I need to do to get the two modules to work, from what I have read it seems and issue with the 2.6.37 kernel and compatibility with vmware.

I am totally stuck on how to address these remaining two issues and so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nerdindenial
Contributor
Contributor

This blog post will fix your issues. It worked perfectly for me in exactly the same scenario. 3 patches are provided:

http://blog.breadncup.com/2011/02/26/vmware-tool-patch-for-linux-kernel-2-6-3738/

Only a few compiler warnings (not errors) remained.

0 Kudos
sysprobs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wondering why you tried manaul method when OpebSUSE 11.4 installation can be done with easy install and VMware tools are installed automatically.

The latest VMware products support this.

The below guide may help to install OpenSUSE 11.4 with VMware tools,

http://www.sysprobs.com/download-opensuse-114-install-vmware-working-vmware-tools

0 Kudos
nerdindenial
Contributor
Contributor

>>(From sysprobs)I'm wondering why you tried manaul method when OpebSUSE 11.4 installation can be done with

>>easy install and VMware tools are installed automatically.

No, compilation of 3 of the required VMware Tools programs failed when I wrote this post.

That is the reason for this solution. This is/was a well-known bug.

I trust VMware will fix it eventually with a new version of VMware tools.

If you tested it and you are sure that vmhgfs, vmci, and vsock now build and run correctly, then that has already happened.

0 Kudos