VMware Communities
Istolil
Contributor
Contributor

Issues Upgrading Workstation 17 Pro to 17.5

I couldn't find a resolution to this anywhere.  

I'm not able to upgrade my instance of Workstation 17.02 Pro to 17.5 Pro.  I've tried both the in-app upgrade and upgrading from the full download. 

As soon as the upgrade starts, a message pops up with the following:

"This installer requires you to restart your system to finish installing Microsoft VC Redistributable and then re-run the installer." It then references a Knowledge Base Article from 2020 about an old version of the VC Redistributable.  I've restarted multiple times, changed the permissions on the upgrade executable, nothing seems to work, and I can't find anything in any log.

I've even gone and upgraded the VC manually.  I'm stumped. The only thing I haven't done is a full uninstall and clean install, though I have a suspicion that it won't solve the issue.

Istolil_0-1699561565783.png

1 Reply
sharmadi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please check these two things?

1. Reboot after manual installation of needed version of VC redist (if not tried earlier). This will set MsiSystemRebootPending property correctly before upgrade.

2. Some other applications on the machine are likely to be using VC redist binaries at the time of VC redist update causing the installer to require a reboot.  If these applications are not running during the upgrade, reboot should not be asked. The information about such applications should be in VC redist installation logs. There should be several VC redist logs in %tmp% or configured folder (for MSI logs) with the name starting with dd_vcredist (e.g. dd_vcredist_amd64_xxxxxx_vcRuntimeMinimum_x64.log). Please check all these logs to find entries like below

MSI (s) (E0:D8) [12:41:41:845]: Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2022 X64 Minimum Runtime - 14.32.31326. The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp140.dll is being used by the following process: Name: Zoom , Id 15204.

0 Kudos