VMware Communities
danjot
Contributor
Contributor

Issues Uninstalling Vmware Workstation Player and Installing Pro 15.5

Hi all,

I've spent several hours with frustration on trying to get Vmware Pro installed with absolutely no luck. Hoping I can get some help in the community.

I originally installed (with success) Workstation Player 15.5.  I then realized, it only supported one virtual machine, so I no longer need it.  Instead, I require Workstation Pro 15.5.

I tried to uninstall Workstation Player, but I've had no luck in doing so.  I also tried installing Workstation Pro, and it also wont install.  Both the uninstallation or Player and installation of Pro give the same error messages:

Pop Up: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

The error in my windows 10 logs is:

Product: VMware Player -- Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action WixSchedFirewallExceptionsUninstall, entry: SchedFirewallExceptionsUninstall, library: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI4EB.tmp

I tried rebooting, disabling my fw, running as admin, I don't see any vm services running, I tried to run the /c clean installation of the package to uninstall, etc etc.  I've searched and tried all of the methods read online with no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can uninstall player and install pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First try to use the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

If that does not solve the problem, or if the Troubleshooter cannot repair any problems it found, you might have some Windows files missing. I would suggest

1. check the filesystem for errors (chkdsk c: /f, scheduled for the next reboot)

2. In an administrative command prompt run sfc /scannow

3. In the same command prompt run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

4. Rerun the above mentioned Troubleshooter

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Use the VMware Cleaner from the KnowledgeBase (I believe it's article 1307) to remove any VMware product.

Player DOES support running more than one VM at a time - just not within the same UI.  Launch another instance of Player to run another VM.

0 Kudos