VMware Communities
pzasso
Contributor
Contributor

Issue installing Windows XP under Linux with dual opteron processors

I have been running VMWare Workstation for years on this system, and I decided to install version 6, which installed just fine. The problem is when I try to boot a guest from an ISO, it has multiple issues. My system is a dual opteron (248) processors, running Gentoo LInux as the host OS. I realize this is unsupported, but I have not had much trouble in the past, that I couldn't get around with a simple hack found in the VMWare forums. So VMWare starts up fine, and I am able to create a new virtual machine without any issues. When I first boot the XP guest virtual machine and boot from a known good XP iso image, I receive the following error.

This processor may not be powerful enough to run VMware Workstation with good performance. Your estimated processing speed is 2 Mhz. Refer to http://www.vmware.com/info?id=4 for this product's minimum requirements.

I click OK and the XP blue dashes just fly by, way too fast, then I get a blue screen that points to an issue with the file called framebuf.

I am running the Gentoo Sources 2.6.24 Kernel, 32-bit.

VMWare Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

--Paul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hydrian
Contributor
Contributor

Paul, did you ever get this resolved? I am having the exact issue. I am running Gentoo also as my host. I am currently trying to install XP Pro (no sp) Upgrade. I did install this version of XP with VMWare GSX server 1.0 for linux without a problem on the same machine.

Here is some environment information:

vmware-modules-1.0.0.20

vmware-workstation-6.0.4.93057

gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r9

Hardware:

Lenovo Thinkpad T61: Intel Core2 2.0ghz

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The time stamp counters on your processors may be out of synch. See if this KB article helps.

0 Kudos
hydrian
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. That fixed my issue. I had to disable cpufreqd and the install when along as expected. I know there has seen lots of acpi/clock speed issue going around the kernel forum. Still don't know if this is has been fixed in more recent gentoo kernels.

0 Kudos