VMware Communities
MBVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue Upgrading Windows 7 Guest to Windows 10

Windows 7 is now unsupported, so I am trying to upgrade my Windows 7 guest to Windows 10 using Windows 10 ISO.

The problem is that the controller and video VMWare used in Windows 7 are being listed as not compatible in Windows 10 (message below) and I cannot proceed with the upgrade. This VM has been copied from a different computer and the current host running VMWare Workstation 15.5 (15.5.1 build-15018445) is a Windows 10 (64bit) desktop - underlying hardware is not an issue.

These devices aren't compatible in Windows 10. Contact the manufacturer for more info.

LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030

(LSI)

VMware SVGA 3D

(VMware, Inc.)

You'll have problems with your display in Windows 10.

How can I configure the guest to use Windows 10-compatible VMWare devices so I can perform this upgrade?

Thank you in advance for any information/links you may be able to provide.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello MBVM,

Nice to see a familiar face Smiley Happy

I wrote an article about this particular issue.

For the part about the LSI adapter, please see:

https://www.vimalin.com/blog/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade/

As for the VGA adapter, if I'm not mistaken then there's a button you can click to ignore that error.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello MBVM,

Nice to see a familiar face Smiley Happy

I wrote an article about this particular issue.

For the part about the LSI adapter, please see:

https://www.vimalin.com/blog/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade/

As for the VGA adapter, if I'm not mistaken then there's a button you can click to ignore that error.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
MBVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

The instructions from the page you shared worked and I was able to move past LSI error. Thank you so much!

For the VGA, I was able to overcome that by using instructions from https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2126929

After that, I had to create extra storage (added a new virtual disk and initialized it before running Windows 10 setup again) to be able to run the set up. I have my VM running the upgrade to Windows 10 at the moment and so far so good. I hope not to hit any other bumps.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Glad to hear it worked and thanks for the feedback.

I will add the link of the KB article to my blog post so that hopefully it will help others as well.

--

Wil