VMware Communities
kf916
Contributor
Contributor

Is there going to be Workstation 13?

VMWare Workstation 12 Pro officially ends life in January 2017.  Is this product dead or is there a future product version?  Need to decide if I need to more these processes to another provider soon.

Thanks for the insight.

Ken

6 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌From the VMware blog Workstation 12.5 will be the next major release which other posts are saying will be release on 8 September. Check the VMware blog for more details on Workstation 12.5.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Not sure if there ever will be a Workstation 13 (lots of products skip that number Smiley Happy ) but as Scillonian mentioned, a VMware Workstation 12.5 was announced at VMworld last week.

The blog post of the announcement is here:

https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2016/08/workstation-12-5-announced.html

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
kfca916
Contributor
Contributor

Thank-you all for the quick response.  Was concerned that VMware was end life on this product since they had fired all the developers in the US.

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>Not sure if there ever will be a Workstation 13 (lots of products skip that number)

You were right... never had tech companies down as superstitious!

wila
Immortal
Immortal

The claim is that it is not due to superstition, but because that Workstation 12.5 was actually Workstation 13.

To enforce that thought you can see the same logic has been applied to Fusion versioning (from 8.5 to 10)

But .. yeah... I think I'll stick to the "they don't want to have a version 13". I'm curious now to see if there's going to be a Fusion 13 :smileysilly:

I'm betting on not. We'll know in a few years.

Not that any of it matters, it is all just a number.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Nope.    Workstatioh14 was released today I believe and you can get it for $250 or $150 upgrade.   Not likely I will buy it right away - the Server does not come up in Windows - I'm goting to try it now in Debian ...  Nope.   Not only the Server not work in Linux but 

0 Kudos