VMware Communities
RedTempo
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way to disable a specific monitor in a 3 monitor setup?

Quick question that I hope will be easy to answer.

I currently have a 3 monitor setup, 1 up and 2 side by side on the desk. When I go into VMWare Workstation I'd like to just use the two desktop monitors in a side by side configuration. I have been able to do this by using the 'Cycle Monitors' menu item but initially it goes to a 3 monitor layout and then if I hit 'Cycle Monitors' again it just shows me the two I want.

Is there anyway to remove the unwanted monitor from even being detected by Workstation? Even if I switch the vm properties to 2 monitors it still seems to see all 3.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

The cycle button goes through the available topologies in a predetermined order, though it should always go through 2-monitor topologies before 3-monitor topologies, so I can't explain why you're seeing that behavior.

0 Kudos
RedTempo
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I gave you the wrong info. It actually goes to the two monitor layout I don't need and then to the one I want. It's not unworkable but I just wanted to know if there was a way to remove that other combo all together.

One other thing. When I start VS2010 as Administrator, I get the UAC prompt and then once VS completes the multi monitor mode goes back to only a single monitor and then I have to cycle the multi again a couple times to get back. When I start VS2010 as a normal user it doesn't do this. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RedTempo,

set the following parameters up in your .vmx:

Dual monitorssvga.maxwidth=2048

svga.maxheight=768[/code]

And you'll be able to use both monitors.e  .

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Ah, OK.  You can't change the order of the topologies. We've had many requests to make monitor selection easier, so we'll consider that for the future.

Does the UAC problem happen with any other programs?  I only had VS 08 handy and I didn't see the problem with that, but I can install VS 10 and try that if that consisitently exhibits the problem.

0 Kudos
RedTempo
Contributor
Contributor

No, only with VS2010 as far as I can tell and I just tried it again and it didn't do it. I'll see if I can nail down the circumstances and post what I was doing. I'm also using Ultramon so perhaps that's making it happen.

0 Kudos