VMware Communities
dicobalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to hide the menubar in VMware Workstation 8 windowed mode ???

While in windowed mode is there a way to hide the menubar on a Win7 host?  That menubar is absolutely gigantic (about 2x as big as it needs to be!!!) so I was wondering if it was possible to get rid of it?  I know it was possible in earlier versions because I found some guides on how to do it.  Those guides don't apply to Workstation 8 though.  I don't want to use Unity because it's too difficult to keep OS instances separated and organized in a meaningful way.

If any VMware staff are reading this I would recommend that VMware use a titlebar menu like Firefox 8 on Windows 7.  With the little dropdown menu embedded into the window titlebar instead of a space hogging menu bar stretched all the way across the entire top of the window.  Or at least implement an optional key combo to show/hide the menubar. Please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abright52
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abright52
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

See if this thread help you at all:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/329429

0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi dicobalt .

please follw below steps

Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools from the VMware  menu bar Option to show or hide the Windows taskbar and Start menu in the View menu.

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
dicobalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I added pref.allowHideControls = "TRUE" to C:\Users\username1\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

The menubar was still there but I noticed that in the application icon on the titlebar there was the option to hide controls.  I clicked that and it is finally gone!  Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos