VMware Communities
Borgie2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is nested VM's possible with a 3th GEN AMD proc (TRX-40 3960x) within VMware Workstation Pro 15

I'll like to configure a new AMD build and like to know or nested VM's possible with a 3xxxX AMD proc (TRX-40 with AMD 3960x) within VMware Workstation Pro 15.

My current (old) Intel build has no problem with nested VM's within VMware Workstation Pro 15.

I'll have read it does have something to do SLAT on the Windows OS that is only available for the Intel platform.

So is there anyone who can confirm if nested VM's will work with an AMD 3960x VMware Workstation Pro 15 version before I'll buy this amazing expensive proc.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Borgie2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can confirm that VMware Workstation 15 Pro works fine with AMD 3900 series.

Nested VM's will run in my small VMware Esxi lab under the host.

One thing to remember, When creating the nested VM,

After the VM is created;

-Select the VM in the left pane

-select Settings

-choose Processors and mark at the Virtualization Engine "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI"

And your done.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Borgie2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can confirm that VMware Workstation 15 Pro works fine with AMD 3900 series.

Nested VM's will run in my small VMware Esxi lab under the host.

One thing to remember, When creating the nested VM,

After the VM is created;

-Select the VM in the left pane

-select Settings

-choose Processors and mark at the Virtualization Engine "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI"

And your done.

0 Kudos
Ales_Kupcak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

may I ask you, if this statement is also valid for AMD Ryzen 7 family (3700X, 3800X) or newer running the latest build of Windows 10 together with VMware Workstation 15.5?

I would like to create a home lab (many nested VMs), but not sure, if AMD will be compatible. Please check e.g. this thread:

Nested virtualization on Workstation 14 PRO on AMD Ryzen

The conclusion of this discussion is to use bare metal in order to use the nested virtualization in case of WIndows 10 (Windows simply doesn't allow nested VMs running on AMD CPUs - something with errors in instruction forwarding).

Thank you in advance for your confirmation.

0 Kudos
Borgie2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Ales_Kupcak,

I cannot confirm it is valid for the 3700 and 3800.

See my earlier posted link https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/cvq5dq/nested_vmware_esxi_in_workstation_15_on_ryzen_9/ 

Yes, did read the thread you mention to on my research quest, nested VM's with an AMD.

I did a lot of reading en research had my doubts with the AMD with the nested setup.

So I'll send AMD support a ticket or the AMD 3900 and 3950 did support SLAT (Second Level Adress Table) and NPT (Nested Page Table) needed for Nested.

The answer is confirmed for the AMD 3900 and 3950 with the SMT option on in the BIOS. For what I'll have read the Microsoft OS does not allow the SLAT and NPT for the AMD on this moment.

VMware solved the nested VM's like I'll described.

Configuring Virtual Machine Processor Settings

Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI Workstation Pro forces the virtual machine execution mode to VT-x/EPT or AMD-RVI. Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode must be enabled to use virtualized AMD-V/RVI.

I'll did take the gamble and build and incredible NZXT H510 with an X570 motherboard with an AMD 3900 and 128GB memory with multiple NVME's and SSD's.

Can confirm this setup works for me, on Windows 10 with VMware Workstation 15 Pro with nested VM's.

Ending this message.

You write "I would like to create a home lab (many nested VMs)," My advise before you buy anything, calculate the needed Cores, memory and storage for your virtualization purpose and count your coins.

DominikWeglarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi !

Let me ask you to clarify situation - because I want build similar home lab.

I am going to achieve situation like this (should be read from bottom of this "picture"):

L4 -->  vCenter Server (vCSA) + other guests VMs (W10, Linux,...) running on esxi hosts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L3 -->  clusters of esxi hosts as VMs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L2 -->  Windows 10 Pro + VMware Workstation 15.5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L1 -->  Hardware with AMD 3th gen (3950)  + NVMe (v4.0)

Do you have such scenario ?

I wonder if on Level 4 you can install Windows 10 with VBS functionality enabled (which is like Hyper-V on L4) ?

Thanks in advanced 😉

0 Kudos
Ales_Kupcak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any updates?

0 Kudos