VMware Communities
lbjtheking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to run Star Wars: Knighs of the old Republic (SWKotor 1) without a problem ?

Hi

I am using VMPlayer. Among other things, I would love to play the classic RPG Star Wars: Knighs of the old Republic (SWKotor 1). I installed it, and am able to start it with good sound and video. But when I start the game for real, there are many graphic (texture?) errors, which kind of makes it unplayable. When I do the hardware scan which is accompanied with the game, it passes everything, except the video test. It says I do not meet the recommended specs (yellow but not red warning) and that I am using VMware SVGA II 256MB instead of the recommeded is ATI Radeon 9200 or better or NVidia GeForce4 Ti or better.

The host is Win7 64bit and the guest WinXP Pro SP3.

Help would be highly appreciated, even without a reward 😉

(see the Fusion discussion Paying 1000$ for anyone that can get SWTOR working on VMWare Workstation - but please do not get confused, they are talking about a different game)

Many thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Playing games inside a VM is only sometimes possible. The "VMware SVGA II or 3D" is a software based GPU without any access to the hardware GPU inside your host. I would try install DirectX9.0c and hope the best.

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Playing games inside a VM is only sometimes possible. The "VMware SVGA II or 3D" is a software based GPU without any access to the hardware GPU inside your host. I would try install DirectX9.0c and hope the best.

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
lbjtheking
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Dayworker

Many, many thanks. Your simple solution made my day ! Awesome, before I went to the forum I spent hours trying to solve it on my own without success...

0 Kudos