VMware Communities
Haenk
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to rename "Shared Folder" and the related Hostname "vmware-host"

Is it possible to rename "Shared Folder" and the related Hostname "vmware-host"

The names are to long for me and I want to shorten them.

thx

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mrueegg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, at least for windows guests. To do so, with the guest in question

• Take a snapshot (just in case)
  • Start and log in to the guest
  • Run a registry editor (%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe) and edit the following values
    • Key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmhgfs\parameters
    • Server Name (with default value):
      Name: ServerName
      Type: REG_SZ
      Data: vmware-host
    • Share Name (with default value):
      Name: ShareName
      Data: Shared Folder
  • In case, the key vmhgfs does not exist, check for hgfs instead.
  • Reboot and voilà!

Not sure about other guest OSes.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

To rename Host name, you need to do it from windows, rename PC, reboot.

To rename Shared Folder name, stop guest os, rename it from guest properties and start guest os.

Hope will help.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

OscarDavey wrote: To rename Host name, you need to do it from windows, rename PC, reboot.

To rename Shared Folder name, stop guest os, rename it from guest properties and start guest os.

@OscarDavey Obviously you do not understand what Haenk is asking and your reply does not address what is actually being asked! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there,

I am the main developer for VMware Shared Folders, and this is the correct way I would tell anyone to modify the Shared Folders server name and share name if you need to do so.

However, it is important to keep somethings in mind when doing so.

Stick to names that are valid for the UNC standards.

Avoid a server name that could clash with a real host out on your network if you have one. (The server name should not get sent to LanManager (unless by bugs or accident) and on to the network but MS system components have done so in the past, bugs. This either leads to delays or going to an incorrect server machine. Both situations you will want to avoid.)

Good luck, everything should work after you have edited the Windows registry and then rebooted the Windows VM.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional question: and how can I change the server-name part of the Shared Folders UNC address on a Linux-based Workstation 10.0.2 host?

Thanks, Thommie

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Thommie,

The answer is yes. The server name registry setting for the server name as detailed by Martin's comment earlier just requires changing and then saving the registry setting and rebooting the Windows virtual machine.

The host OS is not given the Shared Folders server name. That name is only used within the Virtual Machine by the Shared Folders client to determine that the redirected share is for the VMware Shared Folders and Microsoft's CIFS/SMB Lanmanager client or anyone else.

So the name is not sent out on any network and is a private value for the Shared Folders.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks.
Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, thanks for that clarification. I mixed that up - the Shared Folders are just a mapping between the hosts file system and the VM, and this is controlled by the guest, not the host.

0 Kudos
lutzroeder
Contributor
Contributor

Random somewhat related question:

Would it make sense to have a different default name for the host and folder name. Reason most folks try to change it seems to be that the default is hard to remember. For some reason I remember \\psf\Home for Parallels easily but need to look up the VMWare one every single time. It includes spaces and dashes which makes command line copy unnecessarily difficult. What about using "\\vmware\shared" instead? Easy to remember, short and easy to type...

0 Kudos
pshterev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Modifying Windows registry no more works because the specified key no longer exist at least not for Workstation 14. So do we have a solution for newer Workstations ?

Also I would suggest changing the default to a name that does NOT include special characters!

steve goddard

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The registry keys mentioned above certainly do still exist for the Shared Folders feature as nothing has changed in that regard.

Please check the registry

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmhgfs\Parameters

and Values

Name: ServerName

Data: "vmware-host"

Name: ShareName

Data: "Shared Folders"

Nothing has changed. So do you have the feature Shared Folders installed?

Are you sure you are under the correct registry key HKLM etc.?

What version of VMware Tools do you have installed?

If you have tools installed can you go to the user account %TEMP% folder and retrieve the vminst*log files

and send them to me at sgoddard@vmware.com?

You should be able to set the above the values above to be whatever you want within reason and MS computer name restrictions.

Just reboot the Windows VM after setting and it should be able to access

"\\YourServerName\YourShareName\" and map these to drives using Explorer or the command prompt and "net use ...."

Thanks

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos