VMware Communities
ritterwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to customise Easy Install?

Is there any way to customise some parameters of Easy Install, especially locale and timezone? When I use Easy Install with Windows 7, the defaults are all wrong.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) AMD64 with Workstation 7 as the host.

Linux time zone is Australia/Brisbane, and Easy Install is choosing "(UTC +10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney", which would be fine, except Brisbane doesn't observe DST.

Linux locale is en_AU.UTF-8, and Easy Install picks "English (United States)" for date, time and number formatting, "United States" for the location, and "English (United States) - US" for the keyboard.

Keyboard doesn't worry me too much, but my time zone should be "(UTC +10:00) Brisbane", formatting should be "English (Australia)", and location should be "Australia".

How can I fix this, apart from manually setting it after each install?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

easy install is nothing but an unattended installation using a floppy-image with an answer file.

feel free to use a custom answer file ....

to do this start "easy install" as usual - then before actually styarting the VM mount the floppy-image and adjust to answer file to your needs

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

ritterwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bugger. Any idea how this disk is created?

It looks like I need to make a vLite image, which was probably a good idea anyway.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

???

what does this have to do with vlite ???

to create a floppy image you create a bvlank file of 1.44 Mb and mount it with winimage for example

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
ritterwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm lazy and forgetful. Rather than rembering that I need to change the answer floppy, I can make a disk image that does the same stuff, with the added bonus of ripping out lots of bits that I don't need in a VM, installing the SOE, and joining the domain.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a winimage package in Ubuntu. I usually just loopback mount on the rare occasion I need to fiddle with a floppy image.

0 Kudos