VMware Communities
Logan86
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible for the host to print from a printer only available in the VM? (opposite to the usual question)

This is apparently impossible to Google so I'm asking here in the hopes that somebody knows.

Is it possible to add a network printer into a VM, and then have that printer be accessible by the host?

So I know that every 5 seconds people ask if the VM can print to the host's printers, but this is the opposite way around. The reason for the question is that we have a printer which will only work in Windows XP, so I'm thinking of running an XP VM with the printer added, and then getting the host to send its jobs to the printer via the VM.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Typocal scenario: you have an old printer that only comes with drivers for Win7 and is connected via USB.

If your host is Win10 or Linux there may exist no driver  that could be used installed on the host.

So you have a Win7 VM that does the printing for your host.

Yes - that is a reasonable scenario - I use that here to run an old printer / scanner combination that has no modern drivers ...

0 Kudos
Logan86
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the info and that's great to hear. What is the process of getting the VMs printer to appear in the host? Does it just find it automatically, or is there a setting in VMware to make this work?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Here is what I did in my case:

- inside the Win7 VM I downloaded the old driver and tools for the printer/scanner

- inside the VM I installed the driver with tools and connected the USB-device after that

- then I setup a Windows share on the Win7 guest

Now I can send all txt.files, pdfs, images, plans on how to become ruler of the world and so that that Windows share on the Win7 guest.

Then O use the Win7 VM to print it all out ....

No automatics, no hidden Workstation features involved at all.

Just plain Windows working with shares ....

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

I was having the same thought, but then ...

If you share a printer in Windows and have another Windows client connect to that share then the client still needs to install a driver for the printer (that matches its own OS version), right?

Unless you use some kind of universal print driver, a print via PDF solution or whatever ...

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Oh dear .. - you got nerves ...

When ever I hear something like "please install that printer driver .." or "lets use shared printers ..." my survival instinct takes over control and I start to run 😉

In the scenario I use here - with a Win2012 Workstation host and a Win 7 VM I use the only approach my nerves can deal with.

The host copies a doc or text or picture to a Windows shared folder.

Then I switch to the VM and launch the printer control app and print files from that share.

In that case the host does NOT need to know anything about scanners, printers, where to buy cheapest color blue that does not dry out befor the weekend ...

Thats a brute force printing approach ....

0 Kudos