VMware Communities
VM87360173
Contributor
Contributor

Is client scaling still a problem in Workstation 14 ?

I am also experiencing the scaling issue, where a Windows 7 client is unusable in VM Workstation on my monitor (4k monitor):

The client appears as a tiny window in the middle of the screen, with fonts so small that text is unreadable.

Has someone found a workaround ? Does version 14 offer a solution ?

I am stuck on Hyper-V because of this at the moment, but the graphic performance is terrible, so I'd love to come back to Vmware.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you installed the vmtools in Windows 7 guest? If yes, you can change your Windows 7 guest resolution, and in display setting page, select "Make text and other items larger or smaller", then change to 125% or 150%. That should workaround your case.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VM87360173
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. It took me a while to figure out how to get the latest version of the VMware tools, but in the end your workaround is helpful.

I wish I could go up to 200%, but I had 2 attempts at it and first time the VM got unstable, and second time it rebooted straight away and was back to 150%

But yes, your workaround does work.

What would be ideal really is if when you increase the size of the VMware window, the client inside gets scaled, so that as the window increases, the fonts get bigger.

Instead of which, font size in the client remains the same tiny size, and the client pixel count increases to fill the window. Even at 150%, it is very small on a 4k monitor (only a 15 inch laptop monitor unfortunately)

Do you guys know if it works better with Windows 10 client instead of Windows 7 ? (My understanding is that I need to purchase a W 10 license for each VM, which I don't need to do with Windows 7, that's why I am keen on W7)

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No it does not work better, with a Win10 guest. At least not with Workstation 12.5 . You can of course set the dpi to something like 300%, but that gives problems with various programs, which are not dpi-aware enough.

0 Kudos