VMware Communities
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMware workstation right for me?

Hi there,

Ive been experimenting a little with vmware workstation, and there are a few things im struggling to get my head around.  Perhaps its not the right product for what im trying to achieve...

I will have a host machine running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I wish to have several virtual machines all running windows 7 pro 64bit also.

All the virtual machines will be used to play games on.  specifically they will each need the following hardware... 256mb of graphics, 2gb of ram and 1 core processor.

I have currently setup 1 virtual machine with 3d accelloration enabled and 2gb of ram and it runs the game perfectly.  But now I need to clone this virtual machine and unsure as to how this will work, as I cannot see haw much graphics memory it is using? does it cap?

for example if I have a single graphics car installed on the host machine, will this be shared accross all the virtual machine automatically? or can I manually configure this to allocation 256mb of graphics per each vm?

So essentially I'm after the following information... is Workstation the right software for this?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

i think the Workstation is still the Best way to use it for Gaming. Because having best compatibilities. Sure still lot of missing Functions.  (Not quit sure - but i think Directx10 is still a Problem).

i think it's sharing the Vm's over the GPU Ressources. Because it's having the "Vmware SVGA 3D" Driver inside.

you could check the Usages best i think with  "GPUID"  on the host,.... Smiley Wink.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

the standard size set for graphics memory is 128MB per VM I think.

There's a KB article on how to change it in the vmx-File.

128MB might also be the maximum you can assign though.

Give it a try:

VMware KB: Adding video resolution modes to Windows guest operating systems

Tim

0 Kudos
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

So in theory then.... I have on the host machine an nvidia gtx 680, which has 2058mb of memory, I thought the game required 256mb of memory to run, but if vmware is only allocating 128mb of memory then its working fine on just that.  I could have set up 12 Virtual machines to which VMware workstation would automatically split up the memory across all virtual machines?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Well, it wouldn't split it even, but assign 128MB per VM, so 1,5GB vram would be assigned.

I guess you already downloaded the workstation and use the 30-day trial perdiod?

Workstation is the most suitable VMware solution for your project I think.

Tim

0 Kudos
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help so far on this Tim,

Perhaps my understanding is a little off on this one!  when you say "vram" I assume your refering to virtual ram assigned i.e 2gb of ram assigned to each virtual machine.  so is the graphics software based? so the memory of the graphics card installed on the host machine inst being used? only the actual stick of ram on the host machine?

EDIT:  Yes currently using the 30 day trial, if all this works then will be purchasing the full version.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

it's a Virtualization Layer Smiley Wink.   and it's not a Solution to Share Kind of Virtual Slices of GPU to pass-through it directly without Dynamic Memory.  (so what i mean, i don't think that the 3d Solution is working on same Principe like SR-IOV > where you get Kind of virtual Devices per Pysically Device.)

So this i think would need a deeper Communication between the GPU Layer and Virtualization Layer. So let's say 4 VM's and beeing able pass through  a Virtualized Slice of GXT 680 > and to see the Card in the Device Manager with the Slice Memory which it's necessary for the 3d Functions.

Right now i hardly think it's using  "Shared Memory" Options and not 100% Dedicated GPU Power.

But analyze it with "GPUID" - what happening if you start the Machines and use 3d Apps inside theire.  play with the resolutions and so on. ,......

Maybe Vmware is able in Future to work much better together with the GPU Vendors > beeing able to create Virtual Devices per Physically GPU Smiley Wink.  

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Ah sorry, with vram I was referring to graphic card memory,

By the way, did you isntall VMware Tools and use use VMware SVGA 3D Graphics Adapter?

Also you can check how much graphics memory your guest has:

Right click the desktop -> screen resolution -> andvanced settings -> It will show you the graphics memory.

Tim

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

In the Guest you don't see if it's dedicated or shared Smiley Wink.  it's  VRAM.   Reason i think it's easy > so because what would happen once you have a bigger value then the GPU physically Ram?  He has to use shared Memory. theirefore   VRAM Smiley Wink  and not DRAM.

don't analyze that usage in the Guest. the Value is a Masked once.

I'ts like Microsoft Smiley Wink.  did you ever saw that only you're Physically Ram is beeing used instead of Paging around? Smiley Wink

- Maybe time comes where you could Reserve xxx MB/GB of GPU Ram (not shared)  to the VM.

PS: i didn't tested it until now > but normally it's possible to disable the TurboCache Function,....

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

I installed VMware, created a virtual machine, ticked the box for the 3d accellerator and thats it.  I did read that VMware tools needed to be installed but followed the instructions and couldnt work out how to do it.  I just assumed with the VMware workstation 10 already installs the VMware tools but by the looks of things im wrong! lol.  The game runs perfectly fine though, which was why I came to the conclusion that it was already installed.

Also if I wanted to achieve 128mb of graphics on the vm, why do I need to allocate 1.5gb of vram? and where do I allocate this vram?  sorry if all this stuff is very basic to you guys, im new to it all!

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Don't get confused by my floppy usage of "vram". the 1.5GB was the 12 VMs you mentioned x 128MB graphics memory Smiley Wink

Please check how much graphics memory you see inside the VM and you should really check if the VMware tools are installed Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

@Ashleyg89:  Vram is combination beetween GPU Memory and you're Host Memory (Physically + Pagefile).

i would recommend that you have a look to you're system Ressources what's happening once you change the Resolution for a VM,.... ( i would fix it and not autodetect).

- GPUID

- Perfmon

128MB vRAM  and allocation >1GB - i think personally that's too much. i don't have Facts (because don't tested it, but i know theire are Overheads for vRAM and also Paging Activities),.....

i found a little impression > maybe theire out much more.  http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=2253

but is i mented > you should test it with Monitoring Tools to have a real Idea about the Usages.

---------------------------------

But i would have an Initial Question to you.

- For what Reason you like to use "Several" VM's for playing?

- You'Re hosting Game Server?

So why i'am asking is easy. i'am really a Fan of Virtualization > but Virtualization has limitations. And once you use it > then you restrict you're Hardware Power (Features) > to the Virtualization layer.

If i like to Play Games > then i would make a "Multi-Boot" Solution to install several Nativ OS Versions (all i need)  to my Physically Harddisks.

Theirefore i'am able to use all nativ Physically Hardware and not necessary to use Virtualization.

Virtualization Solutions i would use only for

- Hosting Topics (once 3D > then only with Grid Solutions)

- Testing Purposes

But for nativ Gaming i wouldn't use it. (too much overhead + you loose benefit of lot of HW Features).

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

lol... face palm.  I understand now.

When I get home tonight I'll check (now I know where to look, thank you!) how much graphics memory is being used within the vm.

How do I find out if VM Tools is installed?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

You could check for the little VM icon in the system tray, or look under system settings -> installed software.

To install them, in workstation click on VM -> install vmware tools.

It will mount a CD into the Windows. Depending on your autostart config you might have to run the setup.exe on it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Tim Scheppeit wrote: the standard size set for graphics memory is 128MB per VM I think.

I believe with VMware Tools installed the default is 256 MB vRAM for Windows 7 VM.

0 Kudos
Ashleyg89
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help chaps.

If I get any further problems ill be get back you!

0 Kudos