VMware Communities
oliver_reid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is Debian Wheezy supported as host OS?

I could not be sure form the compatibility page.. (I am very new at all this)

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I find "best" tends to be a subjective relative term so my suggestion it to pick a distro you're most comfortable with and see if it's supported and use that.  Keep in mind that while a given Linux Host OS may be said to be officially supported this is usually meant with the original release kernel, possibly some updates, however eventually if one keep upgrading kernels to the latest there may be issues which may require third party patches before VMware adds support for the latest kernels.  It's pretty much always been a catch up game for VMware to support the latest kernels as they are released.  Although I believe they have been working on this to keep up with the kernel release however it's not an easy process as things are constantly changing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, at the present time, it is not yet officially supported.  However not supported and will it install are two different things.  Then during the install process there may be issues building the Kernel Modules in unsupported Host OSes and may require third party patches to get VMware Workstation to run properly.

0 Kudos
oliver_reid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

I don't intend to use it a Guest OS. I Am leasing a server that came with Debian 7 and I don't want to change the OS if I don't need to.

I will try this is a test. My guess is that it will work , but as this is a relatively new release WMWare have not got around to testing it yet.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't intend to use it a Guest OS.

My original reply said Guest however I changed it to Host and modified contents.

oliver_reid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK thanks

For a Linux Newbie what is the best version to install to host Workstation with minimal need to "patch" files.

This is a remote machine and I will administer via VNC or such. I am used to GUI interfaces (sorry! Smiley Happy )

My VM's  will be Linux or Windows server 2012 SE

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I find "best" tends to be a subjective relative term so my suggestion it to pick a distro you're most comfortable with and see if it's supported and use that.  Keep in mind that while a given Linux Host OS may be said to be officially supported this is usually meant with the original release kernel, possibly some updates, however eventually if one keep upgrading kernels to the latest there may be issues which may require third party patches before VMware adds support for the latest kernels.  It's pretty much always been a catch up game for VMware to support the latest kernels as they are released.  Although I believe they have been working on this to keep up with the kernel release however it's not an easy process as things are constantly changing.

0 Kudos
piggyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do agree with this reply and I add this: it is long time I do use Wheezy as a guest OS and it works perfectly fine, upgraded to the last day by day, and with completely functionality for Tools.

0 Kudos