VMware Communities
AcronisBoston08
Contributor
Contributor

Irratic mouse in VMWare 6.5 pre OS

I have used Vmware 6.0 with no problems, but when swithcing to 6.5 found some mouse issues. The mice in all OS's run just fine after installing VMTools. The problems is the pre OS with a bootable CD or ISO. If I load an ISO the mouse becomes very jumpy and spans outside the guest window making it impossible to use. After reading earlier comments on mouse issues, I saw a setting that can edit the VMX file.

I then replaced this line in the VMX usb.present = "TRUE" with this line usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

Now, the mouse works great with CD's and ISO's, I'm just not sure if I can access any USB devices directly from the VM or if I can add any or my next ISO boot will bring me back to the irratic mouse.

What changed in 6.0 to 6.5 with the mouse? Got a fix?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AcronisBoston08
Contributor
Contributor

Update: After adding the line usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE" to the VMX file, I have no USB access within the OS. If I manually add a USB device to the VM I lose mouse funtionality using CD or ISO. Catch 22!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I had the same problems - I now use virtual hardware type 6 instead of 7 and then Linux-guests without tools can be used.

Hope this will be fixed soon

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos