VMware Communities
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Internet settings in vmware from host system

Hi,

I have installed Redhat-5 using vmware and host system is windows 7. I am using internet in host system with direct wire connection (without any router). Now i would like to access internet in redhat-5. How to define the ip address for accessing internet.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming the virtual machine is configured for automatic IP addressing (DHCP Client) you simply need to open the VM's settings, select the Virtual Network adapter and choose NAT.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the easiest way to accomplish this, is to configure the virtual machine's networking as "NAT", i.e. sharing the the host's network connection.

André

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am new for vmware installation. Could  you provide steps for internet settings using NAT.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming the virtual machine is configured for automatic IP addressing (DHCP Client) you simply need to open the VM's settings, select the Virtual Network adapter and choose NAT.

André

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

It's working fine if i use automatically ip address in vmware OS but in my case we have to use static ip address only.

Could you guide me how to use internet using static ip address.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can certainly use static IP addresses for the VMs too. For "NAT" networking, use an IP address in the NAT subnet between 192.168.xxx.3 and 192.168.xxx.127 (see DHCP Conventions for Assigning IP Addresses in Host-Only and NAT Networks). The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and the Default Gateway as well as the DNS Server address is 192.168.xxx.2.

André

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for prompt response.

In guest OS, i am able to view following ip address (using ifconfig comman)

Inet Add: 192.168.94.120

Bcast    :   192.168.94.256

Mask    :    255.255.255.0

Now what should be the IP's for following fields in guest OS

Address :

Subnest Mask : 255.255.255.0

Default gateway Address :

Primary DNS Address :

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just to make sure we are both talking about the same thing. Is the mentioned 192.168.94.0/24 subnet the NAT virtual network as configured in the Virtual Network Editor (vmnet8), or is it your physical LAN subnet?

André

PS: I assume the broadcast address you mentioned contains a typo!? (...256 instead of ...255).

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't have LAN. I have direct connection with wire.

Yes it is typo. correct  BCAST : 192.168.135.255.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, so I assume 192.168.94.0/24 is the virtual NAT (vmnet8) network!?

Now what should be the IP's for following fields in guest OS

Address : 192.168.94.120

Subnest Mask : 255.255.255.0

Default gateway Address : 192.168.94.2

Primary DNS Address : 192.168.94.2

André

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Already tried as per below format , when i am restaring guest OS booting time is taking too much time & system perfomance also slow

Afte setting this ip address, i am not able to access internet from guest OS.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please run ipconfig /all from the Windows host's command line and post the output for the VMware Network Adapter VMnet8.

André

0 Kudos
Madhuarepalli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Now i am able to access internet from guest OS but not able to ping guest ip address from host system.

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This could be caused by e.g. the guest OS's firewall blocking ICMP (ping) traffic, or a setting for vmnet8 (NAT) in the Virtual Network Editor, i.e. no virtual host adapter present. Please provide the current network settings for the guest OS as well as for the host OS (see my previous reply).

André

0 Kudos