VMware Communities
kontiki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Intermittent sound interruption in the VMs - Linux host

Hi,

- Host OS Ubuntu 9.10 64 Bit - Karmic Koala, kernel 2.6.31-22-generic.

- VMware WS 7.1.3.

I'm experiencing a very annoying intermittent interruption of the sound in the VMs ( Win XP, with enough RAM ). I've seen this issue happening with other 7.x.x versions as well, so I was hoping that 7.1.3 would have fixed this, but no luck.

Currently my workaround is to disable-enable the vmware sound card to bring back the sound, which is kind of awkward and disruptive.

Does anybody have any idea why is this happening, or have a fix ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Noel
Expert
Expert

I've seen it as well with different kernels and distros. Would love to see it resolved, and will likely do some testing soon, since I have some on-line classes coming up, and I need to find another working setup that's newer than the last one I had working well.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would expect such effects if the VM uses too much vRAM or more then one vCPU

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

kontiki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Noel, at least I'm not the only one facing this issue. Please share if you find something working.

Appreciate your inputs, Continuum. I'm aware of vRAM and vCPUs recommended values, so I have not assigned more than 1GB of vRAM and 1 vCPU, and usually running 3 VMs at a time, with 4GB real RAM on dual core real CPU.

0 Kudos