VMware Communities
westm0wl
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient privileges on target machine when trying to virtualize

I am trying to virtualize a Win XP workstation. When setting up the viruatization using the option VMare Workstation 8 - Virtualize a Physical Machine, I am entering the user name and password of a local admin account on the target machine. I then go through the next 2 screens and then click the button to start the process. A progess bar displays for about a min and then I get an error telling me to make sure I have sufficient rights on the tartget machine. This local admin account has full rights on that machine.

I have virtualized 2 other machines already with no issues. However, everytime I try this machine, I get this error. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you able to map a network drive of the target machine using these credentials? Also make sure there isn't currently another active connection to the target machine with other credentials.

André

0 Kudos
westm0wl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Yes I am able to map a drive using these credentials. Also, there are no other connections to this PC.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Run the Converter from that XP directly - for XP I would recommend to use Converter 3.0.3

if you use any other version make sure that you order the controller to be BUSLOGIC

newer Converter versions will fail unless you manually order BUSLOGIC - 3.0.3 will get it right at once

0 Kudos
westm0wl
Contributor
Contributor

Continumm,

Thanks for your reply. Please forgive me as I am new to VMWare. (Just got the license this week actually). When you say I should run Converter 3.0.3, how would I do this? Isn't this part of the VMware application? Or is this a plug in that I can change? And when you say to run from that XP Directly, are you suggesting that I install VMware on the machine that I wish to virtualize?

Sorry about the confusion, and thanks again for replying to my post.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you go to the XP machine - uninstall the Converter agent that may already exist and then download version 3.0.3 and run it directly on the XP.

You can then use the option "convert machine" and specify "this running machine" as source.
The output VM can then be stored on a network share or USB drive

0 Kudos
westm0wl
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled the Stand alone converter on the XP machine. I then downloaded a new version of converter (5.0) and installed. I then ran converter and

attempted to convert the running machine. However, I got an error at 1%. Here is a snapshot of the error.

Capture.JPG

Thanks again for looking at the issue.

0 Kudos