VMware Communities
Channi3
Contributor
Contributor

Installing two OS's on One Virtual Machine

Hi, I'm trying to test out how to dual-boot two operating systems on one machine, using linux boot loaders.

Now instead of installing on a real computer and possibly ruining it, I want to try this method on vmware.

Also when i go and create a new virtual machine, it asks me to only select one operating system to install. What can i do to make it support two operating systems?

What configuration settings do i have to look out for?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
unbtreakable
Contributor
Contributor

you should handle this as a normal computer.... forget that you are using a virtual computer...
you can add one more virtual disk on vmware, after you install the first os.
Lets say you have XP and you want to install vista as the second os, after you have XP installed, you just boot from the dvd of vista and you will tell it to
install vista on the second disk.. after that vista will install a "bootloader" that will let you select what OS you want to boot in.
so you will start the VM and the bootloader will ask if you want XP or Vista..
if you need any clarifications ask....
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>What configuration settings do i have to look out for?

If you are going to mix Linux and Windows it will probably be easier if you install Windows first because it does not play nice with others, it will take over the MBR.

If you are going to install a version of Windows that needs to be activated, make sure you configure the hardware just the way you want it (number of hard drives, memory, CD drives, etc) before you activate. Configuration changes in a VM affect XP/Vista/W2003 the same way real hardware changes do.

Lou

0 Kudos
kkambition
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Can we install first Linux (Ubuntu) and after that Windows XP (32 Bit)? I am a biggenner so i have no idea about that.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Can we install first Linux (Ubuntu) and after that Windows XP (32 Bit)? I am a biggenner so i have no idea about that.

Well you can however as already mentioned by louyo it's easier to install Windows first and then Linux.  Anyway if you what to install Windows after Linux you'll have to repair the MBR and GRUB.  One way to go about it is to backup the MBR before installing Windows and then after installing Windows restore the MBR from the backup and then add Windows to GRUB.

BTW This really isn't a VMware Workstation issue and is no different then if installing two different OSes on a physical machine so act accordingly and this sort of thing has been discussed ad nauseam on the Internet so Google is your friend.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

settging a good guestOS option that works well for both guests may need some trial and errors

I would start with Windows - using the most appropriate option gor guestOS likje Windows XP

then in a second step install Linux - again using a Linux option that fits best

to install the vmware-tools you must also switch between the options

once the tools are installed in both OS you can try to find out which guestOS selection works best for both

0 Kudos