VMware Communities
Krischu
Contributor
Contributor

Installing a VM from ISO-Image rather than CD

Rather than burning a CD from downloaded ISO-images of each OS one wants to build a VM from it would be convenient to use the ISO-image directly. How can I achieve this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Create the VM with one CD drive.

Doube click on the CD drive in properties of the VM.

Select USE ISO IMAGE

Browse to the image.

I made images of all my install cd (dvd),s to speed up installing to VM, especially when testing Vista.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

An additional comment... if the distro you are installing uses multiple CDs, then when it comes time to switch CDs, you first need to (if the guest has a button for it) eject the CD within the guest, then ctrl-alt to return focus to the host, right-click on the CD icon in the bottom right status bar area of the Workstation UI and select disconnect; repeat and click edit; select the next ISO image needed; reconnect; then click the mouse back in the Guest's window, and let it know the next CD is loaded.

0 Kudos
pszilard
Contributor
Contributor

What is recommended working method to create ISO, say from a Win XP install CD?

I've tried Nero (Express) but it only does .nrg files and .iso is not offered in the file types drop down.

I tried ISO Buster 1.9[/b], but none of its ISO options were recognised by VMW when I tried to connect CD drive to the .iso file.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've used this on Windows a few times.. Works well.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

mike

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I've had great luck with (and purchased) UltraISO. I've also heard good reports on MagicISO. There are probably a few freeware tools out now, too.

0 Kudos
pszilard
Contributor
Contributor

BRILLIANT! Thanks ever so much! Smiley Happy

Have a great day.

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

If you use Linux, it's free:

' time dd if=/dev/cdrom of=isofile.iso bs=1M '

Smiley Happy

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos