VMware Communities
vmcp64
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Windows 8 64-bit Dev Preview in VmWare Workstation 8 64-bit

To those of you who may have already heard and or gotten you hands on the Microsoft Windows 8 Developer Preview I came across this website which describes the complete steps for installing Windows 8 64-bit dev preview on a VmWare Workstation 8 64-bit host. VmWare Workstation 8 64-bit is the ONLY product that will allow you to create the new Windows 8 Dev preview VM as neither VmWare workstation 7 nor Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007which only supports native 32-bit Windows OS VM guests. As of VmWare Workstation 8 it lists Windows 7 (32-bit) and windows 7 x64 (64-bit) as the last OS in it's guest OS list of OSs to install.  Since this is so, this website below should help anyone out alot as I followed the instructions for installing a new Windows 8 dev preview VM under VmWare 8 and it worked like a charm!

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/09/15/install_windows_8_dev_preview_in_vmware_worksta...

The tools you need are:

VmWare workstation 8

Microsoft HAV detection tool

Windows 8

VmWare Tools (Comes with VmWare Workstation 8 of which you already have my friend Smiley Wink)

I installed the VMs on both my dual core 2006 Gateway MX6453 AMD Turion 64 X2 and my 2007 EliteGroup AMD Athlon-64 X2 systems both have 2GB of DDR2 ram and 250GB and 1.15TB sata drives respectively. Both system CPUs passed the Hardware-Assisted Virtualization test of which I'll explain to you shortly. This new vm install IS NOT LIKE the moderately simple installs of Windows XP or Windows Vista as in the past. A very important NOTE: The page does not mention that your processor must support and requires processors  with the Intel VT, AMD-V or VIA VT feature. There are three steps that you MUST follow in this order BEFORE installing the new Windows 8 Dev preview VM below:

1.) First you need to test if your 64-bit processor supports the Hardware-Assisted Virtualization or HAV. You need to go to this link to download it which requires no installation to run it. Since this is a Microsoft tool eventhough it is used for testing a PC for running Virtual PC 2007. May I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you use this tool anyway becuase I found that it saved me and everyone a LOT of grief before you go off ignoring this step and you will be banging you head on the wall just to find out that your 64-bit CPU doesn't support HAV. You'll thank me a lot for getting you to perform this step. Smiley Happy

Microsoft Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool User Guide and how to interpret the HAV results.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163321

2.) If the HAV tool detects with, correct results, that your processor has HAV as mentioned in the Microsoft HAV Detection Tool User Guide then you can open VmWare Workstation 8 and now create a new VM and install Windows 8 Dev preview in it just follow the steps mentioned in the first link above.

3.) IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you configure the new VM for Typical, Select install the operating system latter, Select Microsoft Windows as the guest OS as Windows 7 x64 for 64-bit template for Windows 8 Dev preview as it's not on the list. Name the new virtual machine Windows 8, Select Store virtual disk as a single file. Don't forget to configure the new VM to use either 2 or 4 cores depending on the number of cores your cpu has because this setting is used for multithreading optimization and utilization. If you don't follow these first 5 steps including the 5th step your new VM won't perform well in a 2GB memory configuration. You can allocate 30.0 GB for the new VM but 20.0 GB is good enough for the new VM. This 20.0 - 30.0 IS NOT what will be used immediately this figure is just the maximum amount of space the guest OS is allowed to use. Only 6-7GB will be used for the actual installation. I perfer to use 30GB for the maximum space usage to be on the safe side. With the use of multi-gigabyte HD units these days it's best to use 30GB since your 500GB or 1 - 2 TB HD can spare it. No big deal here. Smiley Wink

4.) Install Vmware Tools from the VmWare Workstation 8 package that you've downloaded to enhance the desktop display and sound as you like. NOTE: The windows 8 Dev preview WON'T install the Vmware Tools automatically so you will need to install it manually.

My full and personal recommendations here are to use 2GB for memory and 30.0 GB for the virtual disk as my systems ran the Windows 8 dev preview flawlessly and very well without those bad hiccups. You'll thank me for this latter! Enjoy the Windows 8 Dev preview until your heart's content. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
russellarcher
Contributor
Contributor

This was really helpful!

I'd got stuck on a VMWare error ("The virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating system. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. Long mode is disabled for this vitual machine").

Your post enabled me to turn on BIOS support for Hardware-Assisted Virtualization.

Thanks again

Russell Archer

0 Kudos