VMware Communities
flyinarachnid
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware Workstation on Windows XP

I downloaded VMware-workstation-6.5.0-118166.exe (yes it's the Windows version) from the download page at VMware.come. I am trying to install workstation on my windows xp system so that I can run my Fedora and Ubuntu virtual machines and create a couple more VM's. I have licenses and have been running the VM's in player at home, workstation is classroom labs. When I attempt to install workstation 6.5 at home(XP pro) the installer opens up and a terminal window appears on screen for about 10 seconds, like it's trying to do something. Then it closes down. I can't get any further. Any help installing would be appreciated. My computer is slow (2.1ghz processor, 3GB of RAM) but should be enough to at least to install workstation. Iv'e tried it 4x with no luck, even downloaded the installer twice thinking the download had been currupted.

Thanks for the help,

Flyinarachnid

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Disable any antivirus and things like that.

If that doesn't help - try to cleanup with the cleanup-tool from knowledgebase 1308.

Do you have a running process named webcam.exe ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

flyinarachnid
Contributor
Contributor

All anti-virus has been disabled and I do not have the process 'webcam.exe' running. I am new to the forum. Where do I find the knowledgebase 1008 clean-up tool you speak of?

Thanks.

flyinarachnid

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1308

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
flyinarachnid
Contributor
Contributor

All anti-virus has been disabled and I do not have the process 'webcam.exe' running. I am new to the forum where do I find the knowledge base 1008 clean-up tool you speak of?

Thanks.

flyinarachnid

0 Kudos
flyinarachnid
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I removed all traces of the install as well as my copy of VMplayer I had installed and tried to install workstation again. This time I got a 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem popup error about 5 seconds after I attempted the install. It reads:

"C:\DOCUM1\Master/desktop/VMWARE1.EXE

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:0de7 IP:fffb OP:ff fe ff 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

How to proceed?????

flyinarachnid

0 Kudos