VMware Communities
wishingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ISO image to hard drive

I'm new to virtualization so I'm not sure what to do about installing an ISO image to a hard drive.

I'm using a Window XP Pro computer and have installing a trial version of VM workstation.

I cab install Ubuntu 7.10 okay, but it runs from the DVD image. I can see an icon in Ubuntu which says install to hard drive.

When I click forward I can only do this if I accept removing disk partitions.

Will this wipe out my Windows XP Pro?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rsly
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying so please let me first list what I think you have done and let you reply:

1- From the VMwave Workstation, you went into the Virtual Machine Settings and set the CD-ROM to use an ISO image. You then must have clicked BROWSED to point to the location of the UBUNTU iso file.

2- Next, in the Virtual Machine Settings, you also set the Hard Drive capacity (perhaps to 8 GB or something like that).

If you didn't do 1 or 2, you should have.

Now here the part where I am confused and which is very critical. Please tell us whether you started the Virtual Machine and you ran Ubuntu "live" in the virtual machine or whether you did not start the Virtual Machine but rather ran Ubuntu "live" from Windows XP? (If you did the former then you would be installing Ubuntu into the Virtual Machine and you need not worry about wiping out Windows XP.)

0 Kudos
wishingwell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I completed 1 & 2.

In VM window there was an icon with install hd. That's what I used and was successful installing Ubuntu.

I still have XP Pro!

Thank you for pointing out where there might be issues.

0 Kudos